Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Scholar
OP Offline
Scholar
Morning all.

Finally got round to watching ' Apocalypse Now ' ( Redux version ) on Sunday. Good film but I wouldn't rank it as high up in the top 100 as it is.. I enjoyed the first 2 hours but then it took a bit of a weird turn toward the end I thought.

think

Super Hero
Super Hero

Yes, extremely weird. smile

"Man, this is better than Disneyland".

Nice choice of music on the run-in, though.

"Platoon" (1986) was much better, in my opinion.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Scholar
OP Offline
Scholar
Ah the old ' Ride of the Valkyries ' ! grin

I agree Geoff, Platoon is definitely a better film ( and less wacky! ) - I was quite impressed with ' Hacksaw Ridge ' recently too, that is also worth a watch ( As far as I'm aware, it was based on the true story of Desmond Doss the combat medic who received the bronze star medal twice and the medal of honour for his actions in the battle of Okinawa and World war II ).

I'm sure you already know the facts and story on this one Geoff! wink

Super Hero
Super Hero

The Regimental March of the Parachute Regiment, don't you know! smile

I have only seen clips from the "'Ridge" ... but they were indeed good.

Myself, I prefer the more understated style of British (as opposed to Hollywood) war (or war-related) films.

"Bridge Over the River Kwai" (1957)
"The Hill" (1965)
"The Guns at Batasi" (1964)
"Ice Cold in Alex" (1958)

... to name but a few. smile

PS: there was a bloke like Doss at Gallipoli in the earlier World War - whose name, I regret to say, escapes me just at the moment.

Last edited by Geoff Hannis; 12/02/18 1:09 PM. Reason: Simpson's donkey

Scholar
Scholar
The Quiet Man for me, It stars John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Barry Fitzgerald, Ward Bond and Victor McLaglen. Just an outstanding movie that is timeless ........

Super Hero
Super Hero

OK, if we're into old ...

... how about:-

"The Third Man" (1949) ... "Casablanca" (1942) ... or even "The African Queen" (1951)? smile

In fact, the list is almost endless.

Scholar
OP Offline
Scholar
I did not know that Geoff - You learn something new every day as they say!

See, I would rate full metal jacket above Apocalypse now too. I might need to put together my own top 100 when I have trawled through the remaining 80 or so! grin

' Bridge over the river Kwai ' - I do recall seeing many years ago when I was much younger and probably didn't appreciate it so I'll definitely give it another watch at some point. I must admit though, the other films you listed, I haven't heard of but no doubt some of them would of been remastered for a better viewing experience by now.. think

I did see ' Das Boot ' listed on a movie site the other night and I remembered that you had mentioned the various releases, I think this one was the 1981 version? ( Again, another classic I've never seen ) oops

Super Hero
Super Hero

Not so sure about "remastering" - especially those old black and white films. The "director's cut" (extended versions), maybe. smile

As an example, "The Third Man" would be much diminished without those atmospheric shadows; sometimes you cannot see Harry Lime's (Orson Welles') face at all, but rather almost just a suggestion that he's standing there. Pure art.

Also look out for "Sergeant York" (1941) (Gary Cooper). And "Paths of Glory" (1957) (Kirk Douglas); both filmed in B&W, of course.

Scholar
OP Offline
Scholar
Ah.. I didn't realise that there was a cut off point for remastering etc ... I've actually learnt two things today Geoff! laugh

Philosopher
Philosopher
I rather think some may be missing the point of "Apocalypse Now", it's not a film about war (like the other mentioned), it is a film about madness.

Thoughts and information provided on this forum are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the policy of NSW Health. They may also be complete bollocks!!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 435 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020