Hello everybody,

It’s interesting that registration and the VRCT remains subjects for discussion. Personally, I am member of the IET and it is my hope that they get involved in the process of developing any future registration for medical engineers. With a substantive policy unit, the IET often consult with the Government. Now, the IIE and the IET nave merged it is my genuine hope that they get involved.

As a part of the IET’s recent consultation with members,

See http://www.iee.org/object/AB5EC4A7-A888-396D-C27C141C7ECBFA93 )

I have submitted a recent report to the IET and DoH, regarding regulation of medical engineers, that you are all welcome to read. As always it is based on my personal opinion and the best knowledge and facts that I have available.

See: http://www.medeng.net/IET_Report.pdf

Having followed the HPC as a registrant I have many concerns regarding this organisation. Firstly, the Finance Director was convicted of fraud having stolen thousands of pounds of Registrants money (I found out by hearsay). This information was not available on their website. I was unhappy that as a paying registrant I had not been informed. I raised many questions about training and standards of HPC staff (and their own registration) and was not very happy with the response from the Chief Executive.

The role and function of the HPC does not often appear to be discussed in detail. I feel it is important to understand, what I believe to be, is it’s main role i.e. a disciplinary body. As a disciplinary body, I have many concerns. Firstly that Registrants are named prior to the outcome of any ‘hearing’. It is interesting to see the current list.

See http://www.hpc-uk.org/complaints/hearings/

Secondly, I think it is worth looking at the completed hearings and ask yourself, on the basis of the complaints etc, if you feel that HPC should have been involved and if the results look right. I am unhappy with many, but I don’t have all the facts. However, had the Registrants had been Doctors (with BMA representation) and been disciplined by the GMC would the result would have been the same?

For completed hearings See http://www.hpc-uk.org/complaints/hearings/archive/

Conceptually anybody can submit a complaint to the HPC and it should be investigated. This may be problematic. I have seen a study that shows there is a disproportionate number of men and registrants with ethinic originating names being investigated when compared with the proportions of staff. Are the public more likely to complain against an ethnic minority or a man? If so we are introducing institutionalised racism and sexism. There is a real danger that those complained against just reflects societies bigotry.

Politically and legally I am concerned the relationship between the individual employee and employer is being manifestly altered. Where practitioners are independent i.e. self employed is understandable that a system of control is put in place. However, where people are not self employed it is the responsibility to ensure training etc of the employing organisation. It is important that any system should take into account the employers responsibilities under health and safety law regarding safety to the patient and the right questions should be being asked to the employer not just the employee. Many of the cases I feel could be explained by poor training and are therefore the fault of the employer!

I feel there is a danger that this relationship is being confused and basic human rights may be being lost. I am not sure what appeal rights a registrant has against the verdict but I have been informed that it may only be to the European Courts (If you know more please contact me with the details).

If medical engineers are to be registered they will need a system of legal representation and insurance. Just as the Doctors use the BMA when being considered by the GMC. However, this could be considerably costly. An annual insurance for the necessary legal representation could cost hundreds or even thousands of pounds (Estimate following contact with legal expert). Doctors pay thousands of pounds for malpractice insurance and tens of thousands in the USA.

Clearly these are major issues and I think they need very careful consideration. This is why I feel the IET need to be involved.

Above all I notice that there are some strongly held and highly valid views on the EBME website. I would suggest that all contribute to the Governments consultation regarding Healthcare Professionals Regulation and submit their thoughts on this subject to the DoH.

Sadly, I don’t always have time to contribute to the EBME site as it can take a considerable time to formulate a response at the necessary level so if you have any personal comments I would appreciate them sent directly to me.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this, again, rather lengthy rambling musing.

Kevin

Dr K R Haylett PhD,CEng,MIEE

Principal Clinical Scientist
Contract& IT Manager
Medical Engineering
Manchester Royal Infirmary
Oxford Road
Manchester
M13 9WL