Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact ☰
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 48
Technologist
Offline
Technologist
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 48
You're probably right? It would be wonderful to have a recommended software package to govern all equipment traffic within every Trust, then we would all be familiar with the same one. Just like Agenda for Change I suppose? You know, where we all get paid the same according to our duties.
Dream on…………………….


Life seems so much easier since I gave up hope...
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,020
Hero
Offline
Hero
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,020
Geoff,
I think you are right, it is horses for courses. But trawling though pages of source code trying to workout what is going on only works if it was written well with lots of comments. That is where in house software often falls down. It is hacked together to fulfill a need with minimum effort. If there was the time to do it right there would be the money there to buy propriatory stuff.

I have not heard that definition of an engineer for a longtime, so long ago that "An engineer could do for a bob....".
Ask your parents what a bob was, Geoff and I know.
Robert
Not quite as grey a beard. laugh


My spelling is not bad. I am typing this on a Medigenic keyboard and I blame that for all my typos.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72
Super Hero
Offline
Super Hero
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72
This will be my last post on this topic, I’m sure you’ll all be glad to hear!

All I can say, Robert, is that there is a lot of badly written software about, not all of it home-grown. All modesty aside, if you had ever seen any of my code, even you would probably have to agree that it was elegantly written and full of well-positioned comments!

But my real point was if the guys don’t try to code themselves, then that’s yet another skill lost, isn’t it? How many of you can still weld, service your own car etc. How many bother to (using the well-worn phrase) “fault-find to component level” these days. Don’t tell me, it’s not economically viable. Well, it still is in many parts of the world!

Personally, for many years now I have taken responsibility for my own work only. When I had blokes reporting to me, they always ended up letting me down. The only decent personal standards I ever saw were back in the army. But some of us still have a bit of pride in a job well done. I couldn’t care less about “being professional” or “Trust policies” and all the rest. That’s why I’m a bedraggled lone-wolf, roaming around, and not a manager in the NHS! smile


If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 7
Newbie
Offline
Newbie
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 7
Hi,

I agree with Alex as well lol! (It will go to his head)

We have had an 'in-house' system that was very basic and also used Optim EMS until recently, we now use EMAT and are very happy with it.

Kerry

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 135
Expert
Offline
Expert
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 135
Hi Kerry, I wonder if you can tell me what advantages EMAT may hold over Optim?
We're running EMS 3 (3.7.6) and although we don't use it to it's full potential, we've had to 'manipulate' it a little in places to suit our needs. I've also heard a rumour that it's getting quite expensive to re-licence.
Why did you change over, if you don't mind me asking?

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 7
Newbie
Offline
Newbie
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 7
Hi,

The final decision was made higher up the tree than me.

The Trust is made up of 4 former trusts that were all using something different as Inventory Management Systems. The 'new' Trust compared several IMS' to decide which one to standardise with, EMAT came out the clear winner in several different fields, not just Equipment Library Modules.

Personally EMS 4.3.1 that we had graduated to, was limited in the Loan Module and to be honest, bloody hard work. Although as a disclaimer i must point out that other Trusts have found it to be useful.

If you want any more info that would probably be libellous on here lol, please drop me a line

Kerry

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 135
Expert
Offline
Expert
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 135
Ok, thanks Kerry.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 7,772 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AraEmin, Edouardohaag, Mark B, Royal, davidarhui
10,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics11,280
Posts74,583
Members10,392
Most Online69,877
Jul 17th, 2026
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5