Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact ☰
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#19223 23/11/02 2:13 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 117
Savant
Offline
Savant
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 117
I have always been fascinated with radio comms. but not being a conversationalist I had no interest in getting a call-sign. I did, however, take the Radio Amateur license exam in the early sixties and passed. The nearest I ever got to radio transmission equipment before or after that was through working in Central America where I was responsible for the maintenance, (and occasional construction) of Medium, Short and FM transitters and studio equipment used in "Education by Radio" Schools run by the Catholic mission in mountain and jungle stations there. I was part of the British Volunteer Aid Service Programme then. After that I dedicated myself to medical electronics and actually was very glad I did even though I did enjoy very much my time in Radio electronics. On the odd occasion I still tune into the short-wave at night in hopes of trying to catch call-signs of any of the transmitters I worked with in the Americas all those years ago.

#19224 25/11/02 11:48 PM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 145
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 145
Hi Nick,
Interesting reading about your time out in Central America, sounds like you had a great time. You probably operated the transmitters in the tropical bands, either 3.3MHz or 4.8MHz, due to the high static levels found on the Medium Wave band.
The stations in the tropical bands can usually be received very well over here in the UK during the winter months.
It’s a pity you didn’t take out you call, because Saudi is pretty rare on the air these days, be nice to hear HZ occasionally.
73 Paul.

#19225 26/11/02 6:57 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 117
Savant
Offline
Savant
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 117
Yes I did enjoy my time there very very much. Good grounding for a life-time in practical electronics of the day. Looking at the electronics of today and that of the sixties makes me sometimes wish for the old technology again! When I first returned to England after doing my tour there, I used to listen regularly at night at home but heard nothing on my Heathkit short-wave. I think one of the problems was that the Yagis we used on the SW rigs were oriented North-South for reasons of topography and captive audiences. Also the Americans there had their rigs set that way to talk home. Can I still apply for a call-sign without having to re take my exam again? I know that morse code is no longer valid in the commercial world so perhaps I would not need to do that either. Nice to chat to you - Nick

#19226 26/11/02 4:21 PM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 145
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 145
Hi Nick,
Yes, I know what you mean, there's nothing like a big transmitter hall with the roar of the valves was being cooled like the engine room of a ship! The new TX's are just a box in the corner of the room.
No, you don't need to take the exam again, things are changing quite a lot as regards the licensing structure in the UK, I think the Morse requirement will probably cease in a year or so. I am not sure how you stand with your exam, you may well find that you could get a class "B' call and when the Morse is dispensed with, you will probably move straight on to the class "A' call with the big boys and their toys.
Have a look at the Radio Society of Great Britain website, maybe send them an email and ask what the position is.

Radio Society of Great Britain

Let me know how you get on.
Paul.

#19227 27/11/02 2:45 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 173
Mentor
Offline
Mentor
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 173
Before my Dad was demobbed in 1945, he ended up in a transit camp in south of England. The only gunner in a hut full of finger-tapping W/O's. Funny now but he says it drove him up the wall.

Anyway what I wanted to ask you radio types was, what is the best antennae for my MVT7100 scanner? I want one that I can use in the house and the car.

Anyone?


5.7L V8 Corvette.. Doing my bit to keep our summers warmer!
#19228 29/11/02 12:27 AM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 145
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 145
Hi exitwound,
You don’t say what frequency range you want to monitor, so assuming you want listen to a fairly wide band, try Maplin Electronics. They have one particular antenna that covers from 25MHz to 1300MHz for about twenty five quid.
Here’s their link: http://www.maplin.co.uk/
Happy listening
73 Paul.

#19229 02/12/02 11:58 AM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 173
Mentor
Offline
Mentor
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 173
Thanks.

I'm trying to pickup military comms. usually between 100 and 500mhz. There is quite a bit of traffic over this area (SW Scotland) refuelling and heading east. Macrihanish still seems to be a hotspot for Stealths etc.

Cheers!


5.7L V8 Corvette.. Doing my bit to keep our summers warmer!
#19230 17/12/02 2:53 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 117
Savant
Offline
Savant
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 117
Hello Paul, just came back to say that I searched for RSGB and found my own Leicester branch on-line. I was made most welcome by them which was nice. I asked them if I would have to take the morse exam and they said Yes it still applies at present. Since I am in no rush to get a call-sign, by the time I do the rules may well have changed. Thanks for you comments - Nick

#19231 19/12/02 9:31 AM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 145
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 145
Hi Nick,
Yes, the rules seem to be changing monthly on entry to the hobby. It looks like the UK are 'market leaders' as far as encouraging new people, if the IARU conference is anything to go by, there are a lot of other countries interested in or incentive type licensing program.

Paul

#19232 16/01/03 4:49 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 25
Dreamer
Offline
Dreamer
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 25
Hi Paul,

I am GOSID. However I took my exams for class A and B back in 1992 for a bet!! (which I won!)
Although I have worked on VHF, I have never transmitted on HF, or even used Morse in anger!
If I ever get time, I may take more interest.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 11,519 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AraEmin, Edouardohaag, Mark B, Royal, davidarhui
10,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics11,281
Posts74,584
Members10,392
Most Online69,877
Jul 17th, 2026
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5