Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact ☰
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#19378 02/07/03 6:29 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 1,968
Likes: 32
Hero
Offline
Hero
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 1,968
Likes: 32
I have to admit remembering my mother pulling the roast beef out of the oven, taking a slice of bread and soaking it in the dripping, a sprinkle of salt.... and eat it while its hot! Loverly snack while waiting for your sunday dinner. eek

Sends shivers down my spine!


Be Proactive and reactive.
#19379 02/07/03 10:39 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 338
Master
Offline
Master
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 338
Life seemed so much simpler back then when we were kids.


It is better to be reactive than radioactive...
#19380 07/07/03 12:20 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 77
Adept
Offline
Adept
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 77
My grandad who lived with us used to go up to the Albert Hall every week for the Boxing. My uncle told him that the BBC broadcast the boxing every week on the new gizmo called television, so in 1951 we had a tele in our house. One of the earliest recolections as a kid was watching the Coronation with half the street in our breakfast room, crowded around this large box with a 9" screen!!!.
The sitting room and dinning room were only used on very special occasions, and were out of bounds for me most times. At Christmas Dad used to get all the fires going and try to keep them alight over the whole of the holiday.
I remember waking up in the winter mornings with snow on the inside of the window sill, and rushing down to the kitchen to get dressed in the warm. We installed central heating in the winter of 63, the year after the big freeze of 62/63.
My son complains when I keep the central heating to what I consider nice and warm, when he moved to his own place the first few times it was like going into a hothouse, then he got his first bill!!. Now he keeps the heating like Dad.
In spite of the freezing and draughty houses I do not remember catching the colds that seem to go around like they do now. I think we were tougher then, as were our parents compared to us.
As regards every day things, I did most of the daft things listed above, my Mother reconed I had my own filling cabinet down at the local A&E.
I suppose we all hanker after those days as we get older, but I look back and I enjoyed my chidhood and youth. Change a few things? yes, but no regrets.
Ahhh. nostalgia.

rolleyes laugh rolleyes

#19381 07/07/03 2:22 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 188
DAS Offline
Mentor
Offline
Mentor
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 188
I remember spending hours building a take off ramp to jump our local stream cool telling my mother what I was going to do and being told to be careful!!
Biggest problem was having to open my money box afterwards to get the severly buckled back wheel repaired :p
I'm happy to say that my 18 month old son is carrying on where I left off. He can now climb just about anything in the house, much to his mothers angst. The little loon. Those were the days.


Never under-estimate the predictability of stupidity
#19382 17/07/03 10:13 PM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 23
Dreamer
Offline
Dreamer
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 23
Does anybody know a real person that had their
arm broken by a swan?

#19383 17/07/03 11:26 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,412
Likes: 13
Huw Offline OP
Hero
OP Offline
Hero
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,412
Likes: 13
Don't think I've heard of that one, Tony.
An 'urban legend' ?
H.

#19384 18/07/03 2:02 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 969
Likes: 1
Roy Offline
Philosopher
Offline
Philosopher
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 969
Likes: 1
I know a teenager who was put in hospital by a male swan - and he certainly had a broken arm ! They are very powerful birds and it's not a good idea to get too close, especially when they start hissing at you ! They can certainly kill a medium sized dog, if it's stupid enough not to get the message and run like hell at the first sign of trouble.


Today is the day you worried about yesterday - and all is well !
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 12,160 guests, and 101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AraEmin, Edouardohaag, Mark B, Royal, davidarhui
10,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics11,281
Posts74,584
Members10,392
Most Online69,877
Jul 17th, 2026
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5