Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#21331 07/10/03 7:47 PM
Mentor
Mentor
It seems that several people have had the same idea. Fuse at 7A at least, sling any leads rated at less than 7A. That's what we do.

Al our leads are marked! A bit anal I know, but how else to know what's out there. Just recently w have seen quite a few dodgy leads - after years of them being OK - mainly fuses missing!

The things I hate most are leads with welded 13A ends - the plug top is welded or glued on to a hard plastic body and ones with hard plastic IEC ends which seem to want to drop out all the time

#21332 07/10/03 7:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I find 13A fused IEC leads, usually moulded plugs marked with 13A on them with 6A or 10A rated cable and IEC connectors, occasionally. It appears that some people (not the EBME staff I work with) see 13A on a plug and assume that's the rating of the fuse that has to be fitted - some manufacturers as well. 10A fused and rated cables are suitable for the majority of equipment that I see.

Because IEC leads are removable and can end up anywhere the concern is really whether they're being checked, so I guess we're obliged to mark them up as inspected and tested. They probably present the highest risk of electric-shock to staff and patients if left unchecked for too long as Roy mentions - I suppose that's what all the fuss is about. Plus responsibility for checking leads can be established and maintained between EBME and Estates Electricians, using the appropriate labels, I suppose.

What's the consensus on which rewireable mains plug tops to use and the best moulded plugs/leads available? I did have a preference for MK hospital rewireables until they fitted those plastic rivets that break away, leaving the plug-top screw to support the mains pins when the plug's pushed into the wall socket. Still easier and quicker to wire than the MARBO plug tops we use where I work - I don't like the cable clamps that are screwed down or the standard slotted screw-connectors. I prefer the slotted strain-relief that the cable is pushed into and the threaded terminal-post connections.

#21333 08/10/03 3:56 PM
Mentor
Mentor
We label the leads with the smae number as the equiment for example: 75234, all staff have been trained not to swop leads.

we refuse to accept or PPM equipment without the correct mains lead. They get reported to nurses forum, matrons forum, director of nursing, medical devices group. we ahve occasional missing of the leads. but the system does work.

Our Chief Executive has a personal interest in manangement of medical quipment and supports the department. I am accountable to him.

I also do regular ward round with the matrons and discuss issues with staff and point out non-conformities.

all seems to work very well.
get your chief executive involved and don't woffle to him, just give him the facts.
alex

#21334 09/10/03 1:08 PM
Visionary
Visionary
Hi
Besides a visual check of the IEC leads and checking fuse and wiring connections. Is there any other test that I should be carrying out ?

#21335 09/10/03 1:21 PM
Hero
Hero
Earth continuity?
Robert

My spelling is not bad. I am typing this on a Medigenic keyboard and I blame that for all my typos.
#21336 10/10/03 1:30 PM
Expert
Expert
Ok..I take the point that IEC leads are designed to be detachable, however, if the equipment no longer works because the fuse has blown in the mains lead - surely that indicates a problem with the equipment .... does it not?
Something has caused the fuse to blow ..it needs investigating not randomly swapping by a non-technical person.
As for fitting a 7 amp fuse in everything! - most manufacturers actually specify a fuse rating for the plugtop.

Sometimes the gene pool just gets muddy.
#21337 10/10/03 1:39 PM
Novice
Novice
Does anyone know if there are any standards which dictate the maximum lenth of either a hard wired mains lead or one which is connected via an IEC socket for medical devices. If such standards do exist do you know what these standards are, and what maximum lengths they should be. I am aware that the Earth bonding test should yeild a result of less than 0.2 Ohms.

#21338 10/10/03 1:41 PM
Novice
Novice
By the way, the maximum length for a tie should be 0M.

#21339 10/10/03 3:49 PM
Hero
Hero
We have standardised on the 2M and 3M black IEC leads from RS for most equipment:
straight 2m 426-373 £4.77
straight 3m 262-1126 £5.64
Any problems with damage, loss or failing a safety inspection - bin it and put a new one on.
It means there is no need to open plugs to inspect the wiring and frees up valuable time for carrying out other maintenance.
All medical equipment is protected by in line fuses (Live and neutral) so it is acceptable to use a standard fuse rating on the leads. We normally use 3amp and 13amp fuses. Anything under 750Watts = 3A ; Over 750W = 13A. This means the majority is fused at 3A using a standard mains lead. As far as having longer leads, anything over 3Metres must be made up using orange (high visibility) cable to reduce hazards from trpping, or running over the cable with a trolley.

We have been known to tie wrap leads to equipment, especially from the equipment library to ensure they stay with the equipment. This works to a certain degree but the tie wrap self adhesive bases eventually come off, so not an ideal solution.

Be Proactive and reactive.
#21340 10/10/03 5:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
John, I know I'm being a bit picky and will be seen as argumentative but the RS IEC leads you listed are actually rated 10A (1.0mm^2). The attached plug may be 13A fuse rated but if you fuse to 13A then the fuse isn't rated correctly to protect the cable is it? Or is there actually a 13A moulded IEC cable available?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 655 guests, and 505 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020