Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#22056 06/02/06 10:05 AM
Moira Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Good morning you lovely people!

We're planning to replace the suction unit on our retrieval trolley. Would anyone with personal experience care to recommend or warn me about any of the ones available?

Many thanks, Moira

(It must be spring - I came in on the motorbike this morning! laugh )

#22057 06/02/06 11:41 AM
Expert
Expert
We have galloooons of Laerdal LSU. No problems whatsoever.

#22058 06/02/06 3:24 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero
The “good old” ones I hope, Snowler, not the ones that look as though they were made by Fisher Price! smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
#22059 07/02/06 8:11 AM
Expert
Expert
The latter I'm afraid. Rock solid though.

#22060 07/02/06 9:12 AM
Adept
Adept
Does anybody have any problems with the "battery save mode"?

No, I haven't just made that up!!

Self Employed Governance & Medical Devices Consultant /
NHS Professional - Medical Engineer & Medical Devices Trainer
#22061 07/02/06 11:59 AM
Moira Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Anyone tried the SAM 420LX? It looks OK, compact and cheap; but I wonder if it's robust enough? Last time we moved away from Laerdal we found ourselves with a device that the nurse had to hold together with one hand whilst suctioning the child with t'other!

#22062 09/02/06 5:45 PM
Mentor
Mentor
The Medela "Clario" may be a little too small for your needs but take a look.

It's an ingeneous design which has the pump entirely seperate from all patient tubing, collection jar etc, so the pump physically can't be flooded (our main bugbear with suction devices).

It's one of those really neat ideas that when you see it you wonder why no one thought of it before and it seems to work reliably.

Marc

#22063 10/02/06 4:29 PM
Mentor
Mentor
Have you looked at the S-cort from Vacsax. One of the benefits is that it will take a liner system and the charger is integral, not a seperate box to get lost.

It is manufactured by SSCOR.inc http://www.sscor.com/pages04/moreduet.htm

Seem to be liked here for units that get used infrequently and left on charge most of the time.

Brian

**** Still grumbling in the Pennines ****
#22064 12/02/06 8:17 AM
Master
Master
I telephoned Laerdal for some parts for the "good old ones" Geoff mentions. Evidently parts will cease to be available at some point later this year.

#22065 12/02/06 6:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'd have to disagree with Geoff on this one - it's been a long time since I serviced one of those "good ones" (I assume the previous model of LSU in a carry-case) but I remember that the solder joints around the rotary switches and charger DIN socket regularly suffered with dry-joints (due to repeated disconnection of charger and switching on/off in service), charging indicator bulbs failed frequently (preventing proper charging), the stand-alone chargers usually went missing or ended up with the cases smashed and transformer O/C, all the soft plastics around the vacuum chamber tended to disintegrate over time plus vacuum seals and one-way valves were a bit of a pain to replace. The batteries were also Ni-Cd so they suffered with voltage-depression (oxidised plates, hence high-resistance internally, causing series volt-drops) and memory-effect (effective loss of capacity). Functional verification was also a bit messy - water and a stopwatch was required to test flow rates.

The newer model LSU is certainly easier for users to quickly check function, Technicians to verify performance and for either to change batteries as and when required (assuming operators also do the required checks). On balance I think the newer models are more reliable but when they fail they're likely to be more expensive to repair unless it's simply problem related to a faulty battery. The newer models are mechanically more robust, in my opinion, and have preset vacuum adjustments (the older models of LSU required an optional, external, regulator valve/gauge). The inclusion of an in-line filter should prevent expensive replacement of the internal components (otherwise they will eventually seize-up after a period of being contaminated with "aerosol" from aspirated fluids in the suction container). Use of disposable liners is preferable and cost-effective since they usually have a filter incorporated to protect the suction device - if there is internal contamination then replacement of the mechanism means the device is a write-off.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 435 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020