Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#25540 23/09/07 9:40 PM
Super Hero
OP Online Content
Super Hero
The new ultra-fast USB 3.0 standard, which should have a data transfer rate of 600 mbps, is planned to launch early in 2008. It is being developed by Intel, HP, Microsoft, NEC, NXP Semiconductors and Texas Instruments (no British involvement there, as is usual these days, sadly).

USB 3.0 will be backwards-compatible with earlier versions but will also be "future-proofed", with optical cabling. Furthermore, it will be designed for lower power consumption.

The current technology, USB 2.0, which was released in 2000, has a maximum data rate of 60 mbps. USB 1.0 managed 192 kbps back in 1996. Which is plenty fast enough for keyboards, mice and joysticks (all of which are now referred to as human-interface devices, or HID’s, apparently). smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Super Hero
OP Online Content
Super Hero
... but meanwhile, let's hear it for the hundred dollar laptop! I particularly like the idea of a "geek key". There needs to be one of those on every keyboard! I'm also pleased to see that it runs on a Linux OS, that takes up only 130 Meg. No revenue stream to add to Mr. Gates' over-stuffed pockets, there, then. Plus a load of practical features, such as built-in Wi-Fi. A great bit of kit, I reckon! smile

I'm a great believer in appropriate technology, and strongly contend that this approach is the way to go with medical equipment too (can anyone cite any examples of that?). It doesn't always have to be the latest stuff. I still run a 475 MHz laptop with only 28 MB of RAM that has served me well for ten years of heavy usage. I also have a few (yes, more than one) old Toshiba 33-MHz laptops with 4 MB RAM, that I picked up off eBay for a few quid apiece. These are very rugged units, and handy for rough use when out and about. I wonder how soon it will be before we see those OLPC XO machines on eBay too? wink

Last edited by Geoff Hannis; 24/09/07 6:07 PM. Reason: My Geek key's playing up again!

Super Hero
OP Online Content
Super Hero
Here's an interesting one that some of you may have missed. So what's next ... will the NHS be contracting with Microsoft for its patient records (could be a cheaper option than their current plans)? smile

Note that there's some nice feedback in the TalkBack section near the bottom of the linked page. Why not log-on and add your own comments (...here as well, of course)?

Super Hero
OP Online Content
Super Hero
Not quite the latest technology, perhaps, but they're Red Goddesses now! smile

Super Hero
OP Online Content
Super Hero
Here's something to make you think:- "A computer hard-disk reader ... is equivalent to a jet flying at a speed of 30,000 km/h, at a height of just one metre above the ground, and yet being able to see and catalogue every single blade of grass it passes over." smile

Super Hero
OP Online Content
Super Hero
Looks like yet another "slow (no) news day" in EBME City, so let's see if anybody out there has anything to say about any of this stuff? smile

Last edited by Geoff Hannis; 10/10/07 7:25 PM. Reason: any of

Adept
Adept
Does look like it mate. Guess most folk got a life.

Any thoughts and opinions are purely personal & not representative of any prior, current or future employers. Any resemblance to persons living, dead or fictitious is just shear bad luck laugh
Adept
Adept
.......... outside EBME that is. No offense intended grin

Any thoughts and opinions are purely personal & not representative of any prior, current or future employers. Any resemblance to persons living, dead or fictitious is just shear bad luck laugh
Expert
Expert
Evidently, none taken?

Super Hero
OP Online Content
Super Hero
Yes, it's interesting to observe the comings and goings on this forum. It usually starts to light up at around nine in the morning, as all those hard-working biomed shops put on the kettle and boot-up the PC's. Conversely, it goes a bit quiet at knocking-off time. Very few come on over the weekends. There are a couple of night-owls (you know, those you don't give a hoot what time of day or night it is). And then there are those saddo's like myself, who, occasionally working at the computer(s) for days (nights, whatever) on end, are always lurking. And, of course, Huw (or one of his aliases) is always on too, or so it would seem.

The only thing that offends me (too strong a word, really, irritates would be more accurate), are those who come on here, ask their question(s), get their answer(s), and then scuttle away never to be heard from again. Until their next problem comes along, that is. It's always nice to hear how they got on, whether they "got a result" or not. But that's human nature for you. Some folks take, but never give. smile

Last edited by Geoff Hannis; 10/10/07 9:15 PM. Reason: The bit about Huw.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
4 members (Geoff Hannis, mosfet1996, Yousri, 1 invisible), 656 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Yousri, mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz
10,180 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,063
Posts73,728
Members10,179
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020