Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Lee S #30614 08/05/08 1:54 PM
Expert
Expert
Jo,
The guys in our Equipment Library use a trolley supplied by Slingsby. It is rated for 350Kg and does the job for us. The size is approx 5ft by 3ft by 3 ft deep. It carries pressure mattresses and all our infusion devices back and forwards on a daily basis. They have used it for several years now without any hitches. It has drop sides, handles front and back and is also very manoeuvrable.

The guys in main stores also use them to carry supplies to the Wards. Slingsby's number is 01274 721591.

Super Hero
Super Hero
That's good information, Mike. Welcome to the forum, by the way. Whether the library needs to cart pressure mattresses about is an excellent point for consideration (I have seen "rolling tables" used for such a purpose). Meanwhile, here's a link to Slingsby (note the nice big wheels, complete with pneumatic tyres)! smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
JoLee Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Never thought Id see the day but I agree with Geoff grin ;)the standard, design and stability of a trolley is absolutely essential! Having run and operated an equipment library for up to 2 years, loading collecting and delivering equipment has to be done on a robust and safely designed piece of kit. Also of importance is its contribution to infection control, thus in part it cannot have perforated sides or a basket design ( baskets are a real pain with leads from machines n all !). We have some Bristol Maid trollies at present which have served us well, but when we moved to Baxters they became too small. We have reviewed our working practice anyway as we were carrying far too much around - we now want a trolley that will carry a reasonable amount of stock, and some collections and will not develop a lean or dodgy wheels as has happened before rolleyes I will look into all that has been suggested,but as Geoff has highlighted this may seem like a mundane issue but has ramifications for health and safety that if not followed can but an entire staff team off sick in a matter of days if faulty or poorly designed equipment is used intensively. tut

JoLee #30630 09/05/08 8:18 AM
Super Hero
Super Hero
OK, so draw up your spec, and share it with us all here (for constructive criticism, helpful suggestions ... and all the rest). smile

PS: sounds like you have in mind more of a dirty linen truck!

Meanwhile, here's another rather jolly one (and, for that price, you could probably afford two or three of them)!

JoLee Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Well - the truck idea is fine but we would have to lift Baxter's out of it so that's no good as that would involve bending into and lifting out of ! The other one (jolly trolley) whilst very sturdy has no sides thus would worry me as we only need a jolt and the equipment would merrily bounce off the trolley. So we need one that has buckets on - plastic preferably for cleaning, that will fit at a minimum 4 Baxter Colleagues. Two tier would be ideal so that we can carry at least 4 Asena GH syringe pumps as well.We did see a medical records trolley that split into two trollies - but the buckets were perforated thus an infection risk. It needs good sturdy wheels and steering so that the operator is NOT twisting or shifting with the trolley weight, and most importantly the actual frame of the trolley needs to be light so as not to add to the overall load! Don't want much do I ? We do use a linen truck for our satellite trolley store - this is chained to a wall in a space next to A/E at night so that out of hours staff can access stock to replenish their equipment trolley at night to service wards. It is however way too big to use as a trolley to deliver and collect equipment during normal hours. Another consideration we would love is something power assisted - you see them for meals delivery - but I have havent yet found anything small enough that would service our needs ~sigh! All constructive criticism and helpful suggestions welcome !!

JoLee #30635 09/05/08 9:52 AM
Super Hero
Super Hero
Sounds a bit like you need to think along these lines, then! smile

Meanwhile, when you say "buckets", do you mean "large plastic storage bins" (as in rectangular)? Or are you talking about bunging your IV pumps into, er ... buckets?

Last edited by Geoff Hannis; 09/05/08 10:06 AM. Reason: Point of clarification

JoLee Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Ok grin not a bucket - I meant large storage bins type things

JoLee #30639 09/05/08 10:30 AM
Super Hero
Super Hero
Well, you know how it is with us old-fashioned technical types: we just like to use the correct terminology! To be honest, when I read your posts I had imagined large red buckets dangling from your cart. I thought perhaps you just tossed mains leads etc. in one, and used giving sets (or whatever) in another! smile

JoLee Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Makes us sound like milk maids laugh

JoLee #30647 09/05/08 2:03 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero
With the complexion to match, no doubt! blush

Meanwhile, here's another idea.

Last edited by Geoff Hannis; 09/05/08 2:52 PM. Reason: Another idea!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (ram0001p), 84 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BioCookie, Aleksandr.Deniso, hoanggb6015, One+, MikeyT
9,815 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,717
Posts72,328
Members9,815
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020