Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#32831 16/08/08 2:57 PM
Denis Offline OP
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Got a faulty disk drive on a MAC 5000 and GE want over 200 for a new one.
I am presuming that this is just a standard type 3.5 ins. disk drive and could be ordered from any computer store.
Could anyone confirm if this is correct, or have GE been sneaky and modified it anyway.
Would be grateful for any feedback.
Denis

The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.
Scholar
Scholar
Mac 5000 has two flash memory cards (older generation). One is visible from the out side and contains bootloader and program. The internal card is for storage purposes. One of the cards probably has poor contact. Try diconecting and cleaning the contacts first.

good luck
Milan

Scholar
Scholar
And for the floppy, it is standard. Its used for copying patient data. I dont know if it can be used for other purposes. It is motorola based and the software is GEs. I`ll look for the service manual and send it to you if I find it

Master
Master
Word of warning, if the disc drive keeps locking the 5000 we found it to be a batch of bad discs. It is a standard laptop floppy drive but we had to buy the manufacturers one as it was still under warranty. (needed changed due to heavy handed nurse)

Denis Offline OP
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Hi,
Thanks for all the help there. Problem is that it is not possible to save patient data to disk, whatever floppies are used. These are floppies that have worked in the past. If you go to file manager and try to initialise disk the sustem does not recognise the disk drive, so am assuming it is the disk drive.
Any comments gratefully received.

The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.
Master
Master
Our nurses had the habit of getting the little metal protection on the disc stuck inside. (Did allow you to put another disc in but it wouldnt see it) Best to rip it out and have a good look.

Super Hero
Super Hero
Originally Posted By: bcarlisle
Best to rip it out and have a good look.

As always, *illy! smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (hantslion, Huw, John Sandham), 152 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MBanks, Blazingapostle, Volkswagen, Chris_P, Rhomwa
9,892 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,815
Posts72,641
Members9,892
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020