Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Dreamer
Dreamer
Hi Geoff

Scenario 1: Honestly, I am not making this up, these are just the facts from every hospital I have been to. I actually agree with your statements, but the reality is that departments in Hospitals work independantly from each other as they have independent budgets. So they wont always commit the resource to finding kit. Surely you must see that.

Scenario 2: Can you explain trolleys please. I dont understand what you mean by this.

Trusts split money in capital / revenue.
Every year Trust Capital expense gets a hugh boost at the end of financial year, and if they dont spend it they loose it, and wont get as much the following year.
Revenue is year by year, and as such the Trust needs to almost "apply" to get more. but they need justification.
Capital = Hardware / Software, basically any thing that has no year by year cost assosiated with it.
Revenue = Staff etc

It all goes back to justification. Senior managers/directors need proof, and how can you do that if you have nothing to show them. Regardless of what system gets the information, it needs to be able to assist you in black and white. Ultimately isn't that what you need. This is why Trust almost throw money at systems, computers etc. every year. Or employ temp staff on contracts. Do you see that where you are?

And, to date I am not promoting "my stuff" I am having a discussion about the technology available in the industry. Aren't forums about peoples views. argument/counter-argument (pro's/cons) If you can give me a view that has no couter to it, then I am more than happy to accept it, however surely you should be asking me what other sites do, and has it helped. I will be honest. Some cases yes, some cases no. Trusts need to understand their requirements before making a call on their next steps

Although I dont agree with all the views of "lets just get more staff, because that fixes everything" I also believe that if you truely need more staff, at least have something credible to back it up with.

And come on, taking the p*ss out of NHS staff. I started as a temp contractor, became junior engineer to Senior, and left as a senior manager. Why even make that statement Geoff, surely you have progressed in a similar way and understand the up hill struggles you face into getting more resource to help.

Every Hospital does work in different ways, and have different budgets, different styles of management and responsibilites, either for process, staff, and equipment. But fundamentally

EBME are responsilble for Medical Equipement
IT is responsible for computers
Finanace are responsible for money
Press office is responsible for publicity
Nurses are responsible for Patients

and never the twain shall meet.

discuss.... dont just dismiss

Jason G #33696 17/09/08 11:01 AM
DAS Offline
Mentor
Mentor
Jason,

Scenario 2.

What rubbish. You have all the usage figures you need. Ward requests a pump for a patient for a day. Pump delivered, therefore pump in use. If you want to get pedantic you don't need RFID or similar to record a unit is actually in use, I doubt that any of these systems could do that anyway, not least of which is because you would be modifying the equipment to allow such add on systems to work, you could just record the hours used from the service menu. Most infusion pumps for instance record this.

Last edited by DAS; 17/09/08 11:02 AM.

Never under-estimate the predictability of stupidity
DAS #33697 17/09/08 11:18 AM
Dreamer
Dreamer
Hi Das,

whats rubbish? capital/revenue? managment needing justification to employ more staff? can you explain please

Where do you get usage figures from? I honestly dont know.

Because a pump goes to a ward it doesn't mean it is in use permently. It just means its there. the ward may be storing it because they consider that there might be a shortfall in available equipement. If every ward is doing the same, surely your figures would then be in-correct, unless you walk the entire site every day checking to ensure all the assets are in use, oh and where you originally left them of course.

Do you have something that helps with this? to be honest this is not being pedantic, I am trying to understand the various processes.

As I have said, this type of technology may not be right for all, however dont shy away from it unless you have something thats concrete and have no problems with asset management and you have the right quantity of kit in the rights places accrodingly.

when I talk about usage btw, its not how many hours a IV pump for instance was in use, its more about ensuring that the IV pump is required at that location for that period of time. But you need to put the right process in place to manage it.

thanks for you comments

Dreamer
Dreamer
As another question...

What are your thoughts on setting up the equipement library.

Do you only have one central library. that feeds the entire site
Do you have a central that feeds satellite pools/clusters
If so, how do you monitor those satellite pools/clusters
How do you manage the central library. What system is put in place for this management, or do you already have one. Or do you just create a simple access database for inventory managment

Interested to know from your perspective how far down the line you have looked into this, or whether you do it know. Some sites already do it that I have been to, and some dont. the opinion on libraries is mixed tbh

I will go and search the forums for this anyway, but as you guys are good at the counter arguments I thought I would just ask

Jason G #33702 17/09/08 12:10 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero
Originally Posted By: Jason G
I started as a temp contractor, became junior engineer to Senior, and left as a senior manager. Why even make that statement Geoff, surely you have progressed in a similar way and understand the up hill struggles you face into getting more resource to help.

... actually, no, I haven't.

Sorry, Mate ... I would love to carry on the "debate", but I don't have time for this right now. But, suffice to say, so far I disagree with about 90% of what you are saying. smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Dreamer
Dreamer
lol.

no problems mate. thats why we have these discussions

speak soon.
smile

Jason G #33705 17/09/08 12:27 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero
Originally Posted By: Jason G
Can you explain trolleys please. I dont understand what you mean by this.

Trolleys smile

Dreamer
Dreamer
cheers mate.

Your are absolutely right. you do need more of these. I have seen alot of these in shall we say not very good condition.

Do you need them because of condition, or because of quantity? because they go missing? or actually all three?

Jason G #33707 17/09/08 1:03 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero
Better ask JoLee. smile

Sage
Sage
Acceptance of RFID system is a long way! In the meantime, system is left to rot! What a waste? Wondering why no one inhouse has developed such a system within the hospital. The answer maybe quite clear, I believe, the needs are not really there. Perhaps people want it but not needing them.

Make the impossible POSSIBLE. I know we all can and it is the wisdom to distinguish one from the other.

My blog: http://biomedicalengineeringconsultancy.blogspot.sg/

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 435 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020