Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Super Hero
Super Hero
Originally Posted By: Jason G
Unformtunately everything will eventually go electronic.

... yeah, even the spelling (sorry, Mate ... couldn't resist).

Back in my "Cold Warrior" days we were very aware that large electro-magnetic pulses of impressive magnitude could be expected to wipe out data on the grand scale (or even "fry" the equipment as well, if you were lucky). Just a thought.

Here's another "Doomsday scenario" ... how will we all carry on when the power gets switched off? Will those of us still able to write by hand (and, for that matter, able to fix the kit) be commanding a premium (at long last)? frown

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Dreamer
Dreamer
spell check...im lost without it.....lol

if the power goes out, there'll be no light to see what you are writing...;)

but hey your right, maybe salary increase for those those as experienced hand writing experts

Super Hero
Super Hero
Candles! But no salaries ... we'll be reduced to bartering by then. You know:- I'll fix your kit, you feed me for a day or two. Bring it on, says I! A "level playing field", at long last. smile

Dreamer
Dreamer
laugh

omg....it was almost like that when I first started with IT kit.

the more coffee/tea you got, the more likely you would turn up when you said.

Super Hero
Super Hero
I somehow get the feeling that (to mangle a phrase that I've heard a lot just recently) we're not really singing from the same hymn sheet, you and I. Perhaps it's a "generation" thing. smile

Super Hero
Super Hero
Originally Posted By: Neil Porter
Back to your GLIB as mentioned above you need a device that connects to the internet and updates in the same way that anti-virus and application software updates work, most digital radiography works this way, but I cannot see the time when everyone has there own x=ray machine in the house. Most equipment though could use he same technology and be red flagged should an error occur or the PPM is due. Glad to see you've uppped the ante from 10%

Let's get it "back into play", then. Especially as my previous co-conspirator (or, as I have mentioned before, nemesis), Mr. Anonymous has disappeared off the radar! smile

Meanwhile, here's the first prototype (something that was inspired by Angus MacGyver):-

Attached Images
ET Communicator.jpg (43.03 KB, 292 downloads)

Hero
Hero
Sort out the tagging (universal) first, then connection to broadband, then we would be searching for the equipment in the same manner as the IP address. Got this one in the wrong thread, but if the equipment was connected through the internet and most equipment does have ethernet or data links, these could be used to sync the clocks.

Last edited by Neil Porter; 06/08/09 1:51 PM.

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Super Hero
Super Hero

The tagging is easily engineered for. We'll just reserve a space for a string of characters. How many characters? Twenty should do it. smile

If you are thinking of using an IP address for each piece of kit (?), well ... there's your tag right there!

The trouble with IP addresses is that the world is fast running out of them. The "next generation" (IPv6) uses 128 bits.

But yes, we should forget all about UST, BST, GMT, UTC, Zulu and all the rest ... and just use Internet Time!

Hero
Hero
Once the local TV networks have closed and everyone gets their TV from 'tinternet' (bit of local slang thrown-in) then maybe there is a chance that all electronic devices will use GMT.

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Super Hero
Super Hero

Yeah, especially the microwave (oven) and the toaster. My two best friends (along with the kettle, that is ... which reminds me, time to beam up for a cup o' tea)! smile

PS: I had to MacGyver the microwave yesterday. If was the so-called "high-voltage" fuse. But I won't tell you how I fixed it, less anyone else might be tempted to "try this at home", as it were.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Malcolm, JohnBad, Huw), 89 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Neilsonc, Fran2612, Daniela Renée, markwestby, dzeb
9,981 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,864
Posts72,878
Members9,981
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020