Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hero
Hero
Let's market medical grade patient TV's, Mobiles, Audio Systems and make loads of money.

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Super Hero
Super Hero

I think that others may already be a bit ahead of us here! frown

Not to mention medical grade smps.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
bam Offline
Scholar
Scholar
My original yellow shirt is getting a bit frayed, but I agree about the need to carry a voltstick at all times!
Having appied it to a number of patient TVs, I am concerned that even some that are supplied as dedicated hospital units, they are not correctly earthed. When you get an opportunity I suggest that you take a look at those used in your establishment.
According to the 17th edition of the IEE regulations, all accessible conductive surfaces should be earthed, which is why even the fixing screws on light switches and mains sockets are all earthed.
In a medical location similar rules apply to the metalwork on any powered device. I would suggest that it would be worthwhile checking some of the kit that is used in wards and ITUs to see what you find. If you pick up any significant touch voltage then you need to take the matter further.

Peter Offline OP
Adept
OP Offline
Adept
I thought that this would open a can of worms! The other problem is that pateients can bring in their own headphones. Now I wonder if the screen of those in the ear MP3 metal cased type headpieces is connected to the case?
In Australia there are TV's with Audio and opto coupler isolation available.

Hero
Hero
It's not a can of worms as the headphones, connected to TV's and even the TV's themselves are not classed as medical equipment and therefore do not fall under the jurisdiction of EBME. Headpnhones connected to Audiology Equipment is another matter.

Super Hero
Super Hero

What's jurisdiction got to do with it? Safety is everybody's business, but electrical safety (especially where patients are involved) is the biomed's prime concern!

Sorry Brian ... the shirt and the Volt Stick need to "go together" if you really want to look cool. Yellow and navy blue is OK. smile

bam Offline
Scholar
Scholar
I will pass your advice onto my style consultant!
This whole matter of the use of SMPSs needs to be followed up further, even when the devices are not classified as medical devices, since they are used in a medical environment. Can I suggest that those involved in EBME take some time to investigate those devices that are on their patch, particularly those that are hospital property. Perhaps we could use this thread to report any incidents that we pick up. I will try to collect up all reports informally, and if it looks as though we need to take the matter further, I will see what I can do.
I have put together a short Powerpoint on the subject of Switch Mode Power Supplies, (2.4mb) which I am happy to send to anyone who can use it, or if there is a way to do it, I can upload it to this site.

Hero
Hero
Geoff you have to draw the line somewhere or do you want to take responsibility for all medical and non-medical equipment.

Super Hero
Super Hero

Neil ... I don't mind. Just as long as I get the accolades that go with it. smile

Brian ... yes, let's put the forum to good use once again.

So I join you in earnest urgings to have all good biomeds stride their domains, Volt Sticks at the ready (the next chance they get ... but this afternoon will be OK), and report back ...

Hero
Hero
So you want to take over the domains of IT, Audio-Visual, telecoms and any other department that has equipment in the hospital?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 76 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
UHN-MedEng, NEC, Zain Ramzan, Aran Haywood, konate
9,915 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,827