Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
Umi #45410 16/04/10 8:36 PM
Hero
Hero
Plus, If it aint broke - don't fix it

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Super Hero
Super Hero

If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough ...

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Scholar
Scholar

If it ain't broke - it's probably a banker.....

Last edited by Teflon; 17/04/10 12:44 AM. Reason: .....or a banker's barrister

Lozan Flats crew, Fautley's Fliers, Amstel and Arak.....
Teflon #45420 17/04/10 5:55 AM
Hero
Hero
Could be a politician?

Scholar
Scholar
Ahh Neil - politicians, the poorly paid workers of the public sector. Compare them to senior managers in England's NHS Trusts (who awarded themselves average pay rises of 6.4% in 2007-08 and nearly 7% in 2008-09, compared with less than 3% granted to nurses) most of whom earn more than our [ beloved / despised ] delete as appropriate Prime Minister and his "nose-in-the-trough" ministers. Almost feel sorry for the poor blighters.

The NHS Confederation said Trusts needed top managers to help them through financial challenges. Like those posed by having to fund massive pay-packets for senior staff whilst on a limited budget.

Senior NHS managers responded by saying that NHS Trusts are immensely complicated organisations to run, with budgets of many millions of pounds. The basic process they apply seems to be "remove as much of the budget into Senior Management's pockets as possible". Presumably this makes running the budget more straight fowards - there is much less budget left after their pay is sorted.....

Last edited by Teflon; 17/04/10 8:55 AM. Reason: Rant Over - Sorry.....

Teflon #45423 17/04/10 10:20 AM
Hero
Hero
How would you like a job, that no matter how you screw-up you don't get sacked. If you wait until the next election instead of resigning you get a bonus as well?

Super Hero
Super Hero

Surely you meant to say:-

"How would you like a job that no matter how you screw-up you still get promoted"?* frown

* Elevated ... or whatever it is so-called Peers get.

Umi #45428 18/04/10 9:13 AM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Here are a few more, taken at random, that I have come across recently:-

"Life is not about obtaining stuff. It's about using stuff".

"Common sense is the least common of the senses".

"It you really want to understand something ... first of all, don't believe it"!

"The punishment for wise men who refuse to engage in politics, is to be ruled by idiots".

"You can't threaten the peace of a dead man, and you can't threaten the freedom of a slave".

"Freedom is not given ... it is taken"!

"For those who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know".

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm".

"Show me a soldier who’s made no mistakes and I’ll show you a soldier who’s won no battles".

... those last two were attributed to British Prime Ministers. I wonder who can guess which two? smile

Scholar
Scholar

Quoting one is plagiarism, quoting many is research.

Last edited by Teflon; 18/04/10 10:18 PM. Reason: anon wrote that - as so much.....

Teflon #45603 27/04/10 9:05 PM
Umi Offline OP
Sage
OP Offline
Sage
This was written by
an 83-year-old woman to her friend.

Dear, I'm reading more and dusting less. I'm sitting in the yard and admiring the view without fussing about the weeds in the garden. I'm spending more time with my family and friends and less time working. Whenever possible, life should be a pattern of experiences to savor, not to endure. I'm trying to recognize these moments now and cherish them.

I'm not "saving" anything; we use our good china and crystal for every special event such as losing a pound, getting the sink unstopped, or the first Amaryllis blossom. I wear my good blazer to the market. My theory is if I look prosperous, I can shell out $28.49 for one small bag of groceries. I'm not saving my good perfume for special parties, but wearing it for clerks in the hardware store and tellers at the bank. "Someday" and "one of these days" are losing their grip on my vocabulary. If it's worth seeing or hearing or doing, I want to see and hear and do it now.

I'm not sure what others would've done had they known they wouldn't be here for the tomorrow that we all take for granted. I think they would have called family members and a few close friends. They might have called a few former friends to apologize and mend fences for past squabbles. I like to think they would have gone out for a Chinese dinner or for whatever their favorite food was. I'm guessing; I'll never know. It's those little things left undone that would make me angry if I knew my hours were limited. Angry because I hadn't written certain letters that I intended to write one of these days. Angry and sorry that I didn't tell my husband and parents often enough how much I truly love them. I'm trying very hard not to put off, hold back, or save anything that would add laughter and luster to our lives. And every morning when I open my eyes, tell myself that it is special. Every day, every minute, every breath truly is a gift from God.

If you received this, it is because someone cares for you. "People say true friends must always hold hands, but true friends don't need to hold hands because they know the other hand will always be there."

I don't believe in miracles. I rely on them.

UMi-007

"WORK SMART NOT HARD !"
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Huw, daisizhou, 1 invisible), 498 guests, and 498 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
diodoled, Al BMET, Eng_VPG, Graham Oliver, Jawad
10,188 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,073
Posts73,785
Members10,188
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020