Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Philosopher
Philosopher
Struth !.... pot.... kettle..... black boggle

and anyway, it is connected, it is to do with the value provided by departments in removing the need for the purchase of spares/services from the OEMs.

Last edited by DaveC in Oz; 07/10/10 11:15 AM.

Thoughts and information provided on this forum are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the policy of NSW Health. They may also be complete bollocks!!
Super Hero
Super Hero

A very tenuous connection, in my opinion. frown

Anyhow, I can't stop to chat right now ... I'm in the middle of fixing kit! smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Philosopher
Philosopher
We've tried that Dave. Our boss has put together figures showing savings that we've made but the finance people don't have a mechanism to incorpoarte theese savings into their report. I suppose we could submit a similar report every year and call it a recurring cost. Unfortunately that doesn't solve the problem of budget cuts this year.

Philosopher
Philosopher
No, I understand that it is not a short term "fix" but if you do not start to feed this sort of info back up the financial tree then it will never be recognised.

My advise (for what it's worth) is that you do provide value/savings but if you do not have some mechanism to prove this in hard figure terms to those with the financial spreadsheets then it will continue to go unrecognised.

You need to show your worth not just understand it yourselves.

Thoughts and information provided on this forum are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the policy of NSW Health. They may also be complete bollocks!!
frown It seems that GE is ripping everybody , and i thought it was only here in South Africa. Is that perhaps why they are such a large company - by ripping off the customers?

Super Hero
Super Hero

Welcome to the forum, Pierre. smile

Yes ... competition is a wonderful thing, is it not? And that's just what the gougers need - serious competition. Perhaps then they will feel able to join us mere mortals in the Real World.

Perhaps I should add that, in my experience, it was ever thus. But that should not deter us from "chipping away"!

The gougers also need to be challenged ... rather than a passive acceptance of the status quo. That is, being ripped off at every turn.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Novice
Novice
Hi
I need the article numbers for evita xl or for meanwhile evita xl flow sensor geoff may be you can help me where can I find' I have already download from franks but list of parts is not written.

Master
Master
I am sure some prices for spare parts are a rip off but in general I am not convinced things are as bad as some make out.

If I buy a big brand state of the art TV or other consumer item and after 5 years it fails the chances are the repair cost will be quoted at more than the replacement price! I know this is true as I had a DVD recorder fail and the new drive was quoted at more than the cost of a complete new machine. In fact after 5 year you will be lucky if there are any parts available for a consumer device!

But almost all medical device manufactures must supply spare parts for ten years. This is quite costly, especially for larger items. In many cases due to stiff competition little profit is made on the sale of the item and they expect to recoup the costs on either service contracts or failing that in spare parts.

To reduce costs in controlling spares there is a tendency to only stock assemblies rather than individual items which can lead to having to spend more than expected.

I am sure there are some OEMs that overcharge but before condeming them you need to look at the bigger picture as if the OEMs fail to make a profit then they will drop out of the market and that will only reduce competition and increase prices.

Remember if EBME departments had to show a profit to shareholders I bet they would be as costly as the OEM offerings!

Philosopher
Philosopher
I don't think that the "stiff competition" argument stacks up. All the major manufacturers seem to have an "understanding" it's like an unofficial cartel. There have been deals stuck where certian companies have put in a ridiculous quote for an installation so that their "rival" gets the work, and they get a free run at the next major installation. I fully understand the economies of scale argument that if they sold 1 million items then they could charge a lot less for their stuff but even so there is a lot of profiteering going on.
The bosses at NHS HQ should be driving this issue. If they are asking us to tighten our belts then they should be aguing with external suppliers to get a better deal.

Master
Master
The days of cartels is long gone as the penilties are so severe, so the days of manufacturers having an 'understanding' are well behind us.

I can assure you the manufacturers are being squeezed on their prices by the NHS and supply chains and hospital supplies departments. Just hope they don't get around to your departments budget!

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 435 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020