Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact ☰
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#5940 08/12/06 12:07 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 26
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 26
Any ideas on how you dismantle an Erka Erkameter 3000 mercury sphyg?

Not one we usually get in our dept and I can't work out how to get it apart so help would be gratefully appreciated.

#5941 08/12/06 9:40 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 141
Expert
Offline
Expert
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 141
If I were you, I wouldn't attempt to dismantle any mercury sphygmos as you will be very likely to spill the liquid metal and have the hassle of clearing up the spill.

Dispose of it using a specialist contractor and replace with an aneroid sphygmo.

#5942 08/12/06 11:26 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8
Newbie
Offline
Newbie
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8
Err, why would you want to dismantle it?

If it’s failed a static pressure test then it is either very old and the mercury has become fragmented and contaminated or it has been over pressurised and mercury is sticking to the filter at the top of the column which will cause a vacuum effect. If the filter at the top has got mercury sticking to it, try tapping the top of the column as this sometimes dislodges the mercury.

If it was me, given the low replacement cost, I wouldn’t bother trying to fix it I’d simply replace it.

With regard to replacing it I would suggest one of the following; please note the following list is based on ease of use and are my own personal preferences, and does not take into account any local policies that may affect your purchasing decision.

UM-101 Mercury-Free Sphygmomanometer
Looks like and works like a mercury column, without the mercury

Erkameter 3000
Mercury column

ERKA Perfect Aneroid Sphygmomanometer with auto release valve
Small pocket sized aneroid

You have probably noticed that the aneroid device is last, this is deliberate. In my personal opinion there are only a few pocket sized aneroid devices that I would consider as being accurate, reliable and robust. More often than not, cost is the presiding factor which means that the user ends up with a cheap, unreliable aneroid that will need recalibrating on a three-monthly basis to ensure that the readings are accurate. Some of these cheap aneroids (pocket, desk and wall) don’t have a marker for zero they have an elongated 0, this is because they can’t get the needle to point to marker line that indicates zero and typically they go out of sync very quickly.

If it was me, given the low replacement cost, I wouldn’t bother trying to fix it I’d simply replace any and all manual devices with the UM-101 Mercury-Free Sphygmomanometer.

PLEASE NOTE:
I freely admit that I work for a specialist importer, supplier and distributor of blood pressure devices and I did not join the EBME forum to sell my products. I joined the forum so that I can provide clear, unbiased and impartial advice and information.

#5943 08/12/06 9:22 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 26
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 26
Our department performs annual services on mercury sphygs mainly Pymah and Accosson but there are the odd Erkameter 3000 out there. The main reason for wishing to pull this one apart was to clean the inside of the tube as it was a little dirty and is part of our normal service routine.

I am aware of the 'dangers' associated with dismantling sphygs, I have been doing it long enough but we are in an area where every penny counts so sphygs are serviced as opposed to being replaced even thought it probably isn't too cost effective.

#5944 10/12/06 4:10 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 156
Mentor
Offline
Mentor
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 156
two comments:

I am surprised your establishment / Trust can afford to pay salaries, to service sphygs, where you can buy them for around £20 each.

Secondly, it is interesting to see comments from a commercial company, then he / she declares that this is impartial!!!

I thought this was a forum to share professional views?
alex

#5945 10/12/06 10:49 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,412
Likes: 13
Huw Offline
Hero
Offline
Hero
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,412
Likes: 13
This is a forum to share professional views.

#5946 13/12/06 10:20 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 26
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex:

I am surprised your establishment / Trust can afford to pay salaries, to service sphygs, where you can buy them for around £20 each.
Alex, can I get a job at your hospital as money seems to be no object there smile
It must be if you can afford to change all of your mercury sphygs every twelve months. smile

Whether we service sphygs or not is immaterial as it still doesn't answer my original question, how do you get a 3000 apart?

#5947 14/12/06 10:07 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 156
Mentor
Offline
Mentor
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 156
I am sure you have heard of COSHH regulations and withdrawal of mercury from hospitals several years ago.

I hope this helps you to justify to your management to invest in non-mercury sphygs.

alex

#5948 14/12/06 11:31 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 578
Likes: 1
Philosopher
Offline
Philosopher
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 578
Likes: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by Clint_Ech:
Alex, can I get a job at your hospital as money seems to be no object there smile
It must be if you can afford to change all of your mercury sphygs every twelve months. smile
I don't think I'd want a job at Alex's hospital, if they change everything every 12 months sooner or later they'd probably end up changing Alex! eek

Anyway has the COSHH regulations and withdrawal of mercury had any effect, Mercury sphyg's are still popular but with the latest regulations and now that disposal is getting more expensive that will probably change.


Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 7,901 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AraEmin, Edouardohaag, Mark B, Royal, davidarhui
10,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics11,280
Posts74,583
Members10,392
Most Online69,877
Jul 17th, 2026
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5