Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#59655 01/01/12 1:26 PM
Hero
OP Offline
Hero
http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ecms%2Egov%2FSurveycertificationgeninfo%2Fdownloads%2FSCLetter12_07%2Epdf&urlhash=4cIt&_t=tracking_anet

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Neil Porter #59657 01/01/12 4:29 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

What's that, Neil, clear guidance?

Can't see stuff like that catching on here, Mate. After all, here in the UK we much prefer just to "muddle through". whistle

Interesting to note that "alternative strategies" for PM are being openly discussed (unlike on this forum, where threads talking about similar issues have been known to get "locked"). frown

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Neil Porter #59660 02/01/12 5:43 AM
Hero
OP Offline
Hero
PM's should be discussed, it is impossible not to change, technology has come on in leaps and bounds since pm's were introduced. Reliability is a major issue as newer equipment tends to breakdown more often than their older counterparts and a lot of the 'high-end' technology appears to suffer just at the sight of the electrical safety analyzer. Why pm if you can monitor the equipment from the workshop?

Last edited by Neil Porter; 02/01/12 5:44 AM.

Neil Porter #59661 02/01/12 10:25 AM
Huw Offline
Hero
Hero
The reason threads on this forum get locked or deleted is nearly always because of you Geoff.

You go so ridiculously off-topic (or annoy enough people), that I have to take action.

Stick to the topic and it won't happen.

Huw #59664 02/01/12 4:42 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Yes, Sir! smile

My New Year's Wish is to see many more interesting threads opened by those who we may call (as indeed we already have) the "Fresh Audience".

I encourage all new members to post away ... and I promise not to respond myself, unless invited ... so let there be no more pathetic excuses for not posting!

OK ... stand back and wait ... ...

Neil Porter #59665 02/01/12 4:55 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Originally Posted By: Neil Porter
Why pm if you can monitor the equipment from the workshop?

Have you forgotten what real PM involves, then, Neil?

I recommend spending a day or two each week back on the tools, Mate. It's good for the soul, you know. smile

Neil Porter #59667 03/01/12 5:24 AM
Hero
OP Offline
Hero
Clear guidance yes! just downloaded 'Risk Criteria-based Priority and Prudent PM Interval Table' there are 3 columns for intervals, Prudent PM, ECRI PM and ASHE PM and in many cases they give different interval times. This table is sorted by Function, Application, Maintenance, History, Risk Criteria and Priority Level. So why should 3 bodies have different results. Bet you could find a lot of discrepancies between the different healthcare institutes in the UK. My question is "why can we not have a universal PM based on the manufacturers recommendations after all they built the thing"

Neil Porter #59669 03/01/12 1:44 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Only three? I reckon we can do better than that! whistle

In answer to the question you pose:- "because the kit is used in differing environments"!

Sometimes heavily used (or perhaps abused), sometimes kept in a cupboard the whole time. Sometimes operated by folk with nous ... sometimes not. Sometimes kept clean, sometimes left filty ... etc., etc.

So the manufacturers recommendations are simply a prudent (we hope) guide based upon what they see as typical use and conditions.

In my opinion, the biomed on the scene is best placed to judge what level of PM is required. And interval is not the only criteria. Some folk could probably manage to look at kit every 180 days (say) ... but what are they going to actually do?

I would interested in taking a look at that document you mention though, Neil. think

"Prudent PM"? That's a new one on me. But I kind of like the ring of it.

Neil Porter #73933 15/01/19 10:48 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Originally Posted by Neil Porter

My question is "why can we not have a universal PM based on the manufacturers recommendations after all they built the thing"?

Originally Posted by Mark Miller

Regulations issued in 2013 by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) have had a significant impact on maintenance practice in US hospitals. As an alternative to manufacturers’ maintenance procedures and frequencies, under certain conditions hospitals are permitted to use their own procedures and schedules, or those of a contracted service provider. For critical devices, however, there remains an expectation of 100% on-time completion for preventive maintenance activities. At the same time, a significant portion of technical professionals who do the work are reporting excessive workloads, a feeling which is supported to some extent by peer-reviewed literature.

According to past standards of practice, to maintain the current inventory of devices would require the workforce to double in size. Since that is not likely to happen in the current economic environment, ways of assisting technical staff to work more efficiently must be found.

Source.

Geoff Hannis #73938 16/01/19 10:56 AM
Super Hero
Super Hero

To continue ...

I have noticed these days that some biomed CMMS and, indeed, some automated test equipment protocols include an "AEM" field (or sometimes, flag).

In short, AEM ("Alternative* Equipment Maintenance") appears to refer to a (down-graded?) Maintenance Procedure that does not follow - deviates from - the "official" (manufacturer's, in the main) Procedure.

And the "AEM Programme" is one that reviews an equipment inventory to assert which non-critical items qualify for AEM ... then assigns and implements the AEM Procedures. All this is aimed at more efficient use of biomed resources (aka less time being wasted; and (or) being able to actually get through the PM schedule).

To be honest, this sounds like something I have been doing all my life! I liked to use the phrase "equal to, or better than" (...the manufacturer's procedures or guidelines). Can I really have been that far ahead of the curve? whistle

It's been a long time coming, but it's nice to see some common sense being "allowed" - in the USA, at least. Surely it's just another step in the evolution of biomed I/PM (Inspections and Preventive Maintenance) - Evidence-Based, Risk-Based ... and all other such good stuff? Has anyone on here looked into this?

Here are some links:-

1) 24x7; see the some nice comments by "old school" biomeds at the bottom of the page.
2) AAMI; see the top .pdf by Ridgway et al - also the CMS "Memo".

* Sometimes seen as:- "Alternate".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 79 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Liyana, Lee V Shanley, LeoG, olrotar, Philip McLaren
9,871 Registered Users
Forum Statistics