Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
nerobot Offline OP
Visionary
OP Offline
Visionary
As you can see in the Press Releases, Amalthea Trust is again looking for volunteer engineers to help train up our students in Uganda. So, if you have experience in any of the modules mentioned, or would be interested in volunteering for any further modules (the Trust runs 3 blocks of 8 weeks for each 2 year course), then please let me know and we'll see how we can use your skills.

We are also interested in course materials / notes that we can adapt to the needs of the course.

Feel free to ask any questions related to the course and I'll be happy to answer them.

Steven

Super Hero
Super Hero

I'm wondering why the file is in .docx format. think

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Huw Offline
Hero
Hero
It's the latest version of MSWord.

Super Hero
Super Hero

Yes. But not everybody has (or wants) that. frown

CHJ Offline
Scholar
Scholar
A way around .docx if you don't have (or want) the latest MS word is to download and save the file, then alter the file type to just .doc - you might even be able to change the file type when saving it from download.

It will then open in any prior version of word that you may have.

Chris Horwood-Jones
Huw Offline
Hero
Hero
Sorry nerobot, I don't want to derail your thread.

@Geoff. Agreed - but Microsoft have decided that, that is the way it's going to be.

Converters are available for older versions of MSWord and OpenOffice on my Linux box opens it with no problems.

nerobot Offline OP
Visionary
OP Offline
Visionary
Sorry, didn't realise there were any issues around the new Word format. Please find attached a pdf file.

Attached Images
Attached PDF document
June 2012 Modules.pdf (354.55 KB, 1098 downloads)
Mentor
Mentor
Hi Steven,
Looks good. Will see what I can find re x ray coursework etc that may be of use to you. Just a quick question, why PIC programming? Is this for test equipment applications? Just curious.
regards
Ed

Super Hero
Super Hero

Thanks for the .pdf Steven.

Like Ed, I was also wondering "why PIC programming"?

But I suppose that, as you have been out there, you have a fair idea about what it is the students actually need (or have asked for, whatever)? think

Also (just out of interest) did we ever see the previous programme (semester)?

@Huw: no surrender! Myself, I believe that it's "for the best" to distribute files at the "lowest common denominator", unless there's an absolute reason (embedded stuff, for example) for using this month's favourite. frown

Originally Posted By: Chris Jones
It will then open in any prior version of word that you may have.

That may well work Chris ... but only for relatively recent iterations of MS-Word. Otherwise you need to get hold of add-ins.

nerobot Offline OP
Visionary
OP Offline
Visionary
"PIC programming". Yeah, I was quite surprised when I first heard this. While over in Uganda, we had several informal discussion with the students about what they would like to be taught and what would help them at work (about 6 of our current students already work in a hospital). On every one of these occasions, the students came up with PIC programming, which did surprise me.

There explanation was that they believe they would be able to fix some very simple problems by replacing a broken circuit with a "home-made" one made using a PIC. For some things, this actually does make sense, such as giving simple control to a autoclave's machine's door if the timer fails.

We won't be going into a huge amount of detail, just a couple of projects to give them the idea of where to start if they wish use them in the future.

Hope that makes sense.

Steven

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Blazingapostle), 72 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Blazingapostle, Volkswagen, Chris_P, Rhomwa, Aziizi
9,891 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,814
Posts72,637
Members9,890
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020