Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Visionary
Visionary
Just picked up on this thread. I pulled a contracted PAT Testing person to one side a couple of years ago who had been doing the ususal 'test everything' regime because of the piece-work payment. He claimed to have never been told anything specific about testing medical devices, so as a guide I showed him the B/BF/CF symbols & advised that anything bearing these marks should be left for us (biomeds) to deal with.
On another note, more recent PAT tests were carried out by 2 young lads - 1 was sitting using his mobile while the other simply attached labels...
The last bout of testing carried out 'in-house' here saw plug tops loose, chunks missing out of IEC plugs/leads & the failing of an extension lead used in our workshop because it was "Open Circuit Between Live and Neutral" - Well I should hope it is!
Finally, I also wonder how many people take the time to determine how many enclosure parts there are on a device before carrying out an electrical safety test and also testing every earth on equipment that carries multiple mains outlets? It surprises me that even manufacturers that supply a safety test result with their new equipment fail to do this!
Also many suppliers still supply mains leads with 13A fuses fitted in units that have a 10A IEC plug at the other end & sometimes nothing greater than a 6A cable.
Just some obvservations/thoughts!
And breathe....

Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

Yes Paul ... yet more examples of why the biomeds need to be ever vigilant (regardless of whomever it is who's supposed to be carrying out "electrical safety" checks).

I like the bit about the lad playing with his "social media" toy, by the way. I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees it going on all the time. Not just the "working lads", but the nurses too (and almost everyone else as well, it would seem). Needless to say, if that bloke was working for me he would be shown the door. That way, he could play to his heart's content (in his own time)! smile

Hero
Hero
Then he could be struck off the register and would never be able to repeat his dangerous actions....... OOOps wrong topic - or is it?
Robert

My spelling is not bad. I am typing this on a Medigenic keyboard and I blame that for all my typos.
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

Where's the threat to "patient safety" from some useless ned passing the time playing with his toy?

In fact, I would suggest that by not doing his PAT testing, he's more likely to be diminishing the risk (of damaging the kit, at least). whistle

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Hero
Hero
But he is certifying the equipment as safe when it might not be. Actually doing the PAT test (I think that is tautology*) might have identified a fault which could harm someone.
Robert

* PAT = Portable Appliance Test
"PIN Number" is another one that annoys me PIN = Personal Identification Number

My spelling is not bad. I am typing this on a Medigenic keyboard and I blame that for all my typos.
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

I doubt that a ned like that would have identified a fault even if it had jumped up and bit him in the [censored]! frown

Bottom line:- leave electrical safety testing of medical equipment to the biomeds ... and restrict the "lads" to kettles and hand dryers (if that).

Meanwhile, here's another one for you, Robert:- "LCD Display"

... and, in similar vein, but not real tautologous* (but perhaps one that you may not have come across):-

"The Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers" (the only unit in the British Army with two Royals in its title - and the most senior regiment in the TA). smile

* OK, I just took a guess at one!

Mentor
Mentor
Sorry for going of topic a bit but snowed in.....
Heres another Few:
SAM Missile (Surface to Air Missile)
POST Test (Power On Self Test)
RAM Memory (Random Access Memory)

Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

Keep 'em coming, Ed ... but Robert has been known to go on about diphthongs as well (so you had better get ready)! whistle

BTW: the thought occurs that you may not be too far from Monmouth yourself! smile

Adept
Adept
The complication with all this 'PAT tester should not test medical equipment etc.' is that NO where in any UK law is it mandatory to PAT test. The IET (formerly IEE) write a code of practice, and that is all it is.

Under HSE and the electricity at works act you should undertake to ensure that electrical items are maintained in a safe condition and it is up to you what measures are chosen. The IET code of practice for the testing and inspection of electrical equipment is just that, a code of practice and can be adopted or ignored as long as a system is put in place to ensure that electrical equipment is maintained in a safe manner.

Barney

Barney
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

Hello Barney ... where have you been, Mate? think

Originally Posted By: Barney

...electrical items are maintained in a safe condition and it is up to you what measures are chosen ... a system is put in place to ensure that electrical equipment is maintained in a safe manner.

Yes ... (and as I keep saying ) it's the biomed who is the Responsible Person - or, as I like to put it, the Custodian of Electrical (Equipment) Safety. It's known as the "Burden of Competence", you know! smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
5 members (daisizhou, Stargolf, Geoff Hannis, mosfet1996, 1 invisible), 509 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Yousri, mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz
10,180 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,063
Posts73,728
Members10,179
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020