Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact ☰
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 499
Likes: 1
Umi Offline OP
Sage
OP Offline
Sage
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 499
Likes: 1
When testing Alaris infusion pumps is it necessary to use the IDA, as carefusion do not recommend its use?


UMi-007

"WORK SMART NOT HARD !"
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,020
Hero
Offline
Hero
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,020
My question is "Why not?" What are they trying to hide?
My comment is that you are doing the test, not them, so you choose how to do it.
Robert


My spelling is not bad. I am typing this on a Medigenic keyboard and I blame that for all my typos.
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 50
Scholar
Offline
Scholar
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 50
If it's for rate / volumetric checks, I think the problem is that the fluid isn't pumped at a constant rate, so if you only do a 'spot check' with an IDA you might get the wrong reading.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 499
Likes: 1
Umi Offline OP
Sage
OP Offline
Sage
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 499
Likes: 1
Hi RoJo,

You are doing the test, but the have to follow the Manufacturer's Recommendation?


UMi-007

"WORK SMART NOT HARD !"
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,020
Hero
Offline
Hero
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,020
No you do not have to follow the manufacturers recommendations you are not employed by them they cannot tell you what to do.
And they are only recommendations, they are not the law and are not compulsory.
When manufacturers "recommend" something be suspicious and ask why.
Robert


My spelling is not bad. I am typing this on a Medigenic keyboard and I blame that for all my typos.
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 45
Technologist
Offline
Technologist
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 45
I have to disagree 100% with RoJo unfortunately frown So when a manufacturer recommends what tests to do- you can pick which ones you want to do??

I would follow the manufacturers recommendation on how to test their devices. If you do not test in accordance to this, I would risk assess this (taking into account accuracy of what you want to use etc). That should cover you.

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,020
Hero
Offline
Hero
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,020
Biff
I am employed by a Trust, I want what is best for my Trust and their patients, so if a company wants to hide some short coming of their euipmnt, I wan to find out what it is.
As I said these are recommendations not compulsions.
RoJo


My spelling is not bad. I am typing this on a Medigenic keyboard and I blame that for all my typos.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 364
Likes: 38
Sage
Offline
Sage
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 364
Likes: 38
Umish, just what sort of testing procedure do Carefusion recommend?

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 362
Likes: 3
Sage
Offline
Sage
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 362
Likes: 3
A serious question, by "testing" do you mean performing a verification, a check, or a calibration?

Alaris Infusion Pumps have a dedicated performance verification procedure, (additional testing and calibration may be required after certain repairs are completed).

If the dedicated test equipment is not available, you use what you have to hand in the workshop to check equipment. This can be a stopwatch and burette, a set of scales (gravimetric method), a manometer, or an Infusion Device Analyser. Note, the IDA4, is not a Calibrator, but can be used to independently check infusion device function.

There is a subtle difference between, check, verify, and calibrate.

You can develop your own testing regime or protocol based upon manufacturer recommendations, and your knowledge, (so long as you have traceability and can confirm that equipment is performing within manufacturers specifications). No-one will ever be criticised for adhering strictly to manufacturers recommendations, but budget and time constraints force innovative testing solutions to be developed.

Where you deviate from manufacturer recommendations, document, risk assess, and get signed off.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 364
Likes: 38
Sage
Offline
Sage
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 364
Likes: 38
"a stopwatch and burette, a set of scales (gravimetric method), a manometer"

This is exactly the contents of my tame Carefusion Technicians' bag of tricks when he comes to visit us for annual performance testing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Huw 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 13,552 guests, and 199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AraEmin, Edouardohaag, Mark B, Royal, davidarhui
10,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics11,281
Posts74,584
Members10,392
Most Online69,877
Jul 17th, 2026
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5