Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Scholar
Scholar
Basically we are going for a passive id system, the interface with eQuip is an essential. Location is preferable but to be honest is not really that important at this initial stage. I like the idea of the mobile trolley as have the nodes around the hospital is a no go for this project!

KSF ........ Not bought any Cowboy boots yet and still kicking about in my old dessert boots :-)

Kevin Finn #71687 28/03/17 10:20 AM
Super Hero
Super Hero

So essentially just a transmitter/receiver (transponder) as you sally forth with your biomed cart, then? think

(for PM purposes, in the main, I assume).

Plus all the passive tags on the kit themselves, of course.

Although undoubtedly the cheaper (and far simpler) option, I don't think I would consider that route in a hospital setting myself. frown

If you're going to implement RFID tagging at all, it's probably better to crack on with the Full Monty, I reckon. smile

More guff.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Scholar
Scholar
We are using the Harland and Simon system with e-Quip AM. We currently use active tags but will be also using passive tags. Initially it was just for EBME but Estates are now using the system for bed and hoists. e-Quip asset history has a list of last known locations with date and time stamps. It is also used for booking assets automatically in and out of our Equipment Libraries across the Trust. The equipment Library technicians carry a PDA scanner and scan on their rounds but we are getting more fixed readers in. We have had the system for about four years and find it really useful for locating equipment that is due or overdue PPM. The Harland and Simon software allows you to run various reports if need be and could be set up independently of an asset database but you may as well sync them.

Solihull Hospital
University Hospitals Birmingham
Super Hero
Super Hero

That's good information, Adrian. smile

I believe that the RFID system database is constantly being updated. Location, date and time for every tag on the system ... every couple of minutes or so.

But I'm wondering how e-Quip interfaces with the RFID system database. Does e-Quip interrogate the RFID database constantly, or once every few minutes, hours or whatever; or does e-Quip call up the latest data, for a particular item of equipment only, on demand by the e-Quip user? think

Scholar
Scholar
Yes the RFID database is constantly updated but the active tags can have the time interval set to try and prolong battery life (this is done by H&S). I have some test tags with batteries (1x CR2032) that have been in for four years and still reported on the system as "good". e-Quip constantly gets updates, I can bring a piece of kit in to the workshop and by the time I look on e-Quip the location will show up as the workshop. Readers for the RFID can be grouped for a large department so instead of multiple entries for one area you will just get one. Sensitivity of the readers can be adjusted as at maximum sensitivity they cover a large distance. I have seen a demo of the passive tags and a trolley needs to wheeled around and you can have a hand scanner for hard to access areas. I believe fixed readers will or are available for the passive tags. Passive tags come in all shapes and sizes so we can even get them on the likes of McKinley T34's where we can only get the active tag on the lock box.

I would say e-Quip is constantly updated as you can use grid view reports and the data will be there, but I may be wrong. If I remember I'll ask next time Integra are on site.

Solihull Hospital
Super Hero
Super Hero

It seems to me that the best way of approaching RFID is to start off gently and then (have an annual budget to) "grow" the system over time. "Future proofing" may (should) also be considered as, hopefully, the tags become smaller and one day even fitted inside the equipment, rather than (as in pictures I have seen) hanging off the back, "secured" by a tie wrap!

On the other hand, I should imagine that much fun could be had in planning a complete RFID system from scratch in a turnkey (new hospital project) situation - the type of scenario I was once used to myself.

Meanwhile, I'm still interested in how e-Quip gets its updates from the RFID database. And also in what format does the RFID system present location data (as a "map reference" in a grid, maybe?) - and is a look-up table used to turn that data into a user location (department, room number etc.) displayed at e-Quip?

The reason I'm asking such questions is that I'm wondering if I need to allow for this stuff in my own database system. smile

Super Hero
Super Hero

Meanwhile, now that RFID has been going for a while, has anyone carried out, or seen (apart from claims made in vendors' brochures), a proper Cost versus Benefits analysis of RFID tracking of medical equipment?

For example, how can it make any difference to equipment that users in the "Community" "forget" to return? Or have we all just given up on that one? think

And Active versus Passive? I can see how a passive system could be useful; if only in being cheaper, and with much smaller tags (that could simply be part of the ubiquitous equipment asset tag, for example). But is it really worth all the effort involved?

I've read all about how many hours nurses spend hunting down equipment, and stuff like that ... but to be honest, I have my doubts - and suspect that a little bit of (old-fashioned) equipment husbandry might go a long way in solving the "problem" (rather than just chucking Mega Bucks at it, as usual). frown

Scholar
Scholar
If the Trust has a good coverage WiFi that is compatible with the RFID database that can be used. In the equipment record e-Quip has a section for Location History and has the fields Site, Location and Arrival Date/Time.

The RFID database gets the locations from e-Quip but could be configured on the server itself if I remember correctly as Estates have some locations on there that we do not see on e-Quip.

When a fixed reader is installed they are configured in the RFID admin, the location is set to the IP address of the reader. As mentioned before the readers can be grouped if required so you do not get multiple locations logged in a large department.

Tracking is useful for the equipment libraries (where some charge) in that you are not relying on staff filling in the correct details on paper which then has to be entered on a database. Checking out of a library and then detection at the ward starts the loan in the loan module of your database. Return to the library ends the loan.

Equipment going off site can be monitored too as if detected on readers at entrance / exit points it can be flagged up. I believe this can also be linked to CCTV to capture images.

We have found the system a benefit and it has helped us to find equipment on several occasions that is buried at the back of a store room or moved across sites.

http://rfiddiscovery.com/rfid-discovery-solutions/asset-tracking/

Solihull Hospital
Super Hero
Super Hero

There's a nice picture showing a tag secured to a Colleague pump by a tie wrap at that link, Adrian. wink

Meanwhile, I was asking recently about "Standards"; well, here's a bit of light reading (.pdf) that looks like a good place to start. smile

Dreamer
Dreamer
We should have such a system, but I do not know what hardware to buy.
Which type RFID tag and RFID reader would be good for us ?
Do you think this would work? ( I can write the software )
UHF Reader (~5m): http://www.ebay.com/bhp/uhf-rfid-reader
UHF Tag: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/uhf-rfid-tag

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 435 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020