Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
hi

we have had a recent query about the provision of 9v alkaline batteries as our local regional procurement service no longer provides the DURACELL PROCELL that they previously supplied and instead users have been sent VARTA Industrial. In looking at this issue I find that the DURACELL 9v has also been wihdrawn from the nhs supplychain site and the alternative offered there is also the VARTA https://my.supplychain.nhs.uk/catalogue/product/wpa007

My queries are
1) has this caused an issue for anyone as the Duracell is classified as IEC 6LR61 (mfr code MN1604) and the Varta as IEC 6LP3146 (mfr 4022 but is also marked MN1604) so are these equivalent?
2) specifically has anyone had a problem with using these in the CME McKinley T34 syringe driver? the company say they are currently looking at the suitability of the Varta as their T34 manual requires a 9v alkaline 6Lr61 and specifically recommends the Duracell Plus MN1604 but they won't rule on the Varta just yet, and yet we have very little Duracell stock left (our procurement service didn't tell us they were changing brands)

thanks for any information proferred

eugene

BK Offline
Savant
Savant
We had the same problem a few weeks back, since CME only recommend Duracell, its best to stick with that. We asked our Procurement department to get Duracell reinstated with the supply chain, which I believe has been done.

Adept
Adept
We have also found most other 9v alkaline batteries to have poor life in these pumps to the point where some departments have started to use the Ultralife PP3 lithium battery. So for other than the expense they seem to be the answer.

KM Offline
Philosopher
Philosopher
Think you will find if you get your procurement lead to raise it as an issue to nhs supplies they in turn will raise comparison issues with the OEM of the batteries and they will give it you in writing that their batteries are ok or not.
One of the problems we found is that not all "PP3" type batteries are physically the same size and so may not even fit in a device.

Super Hero
Super Hero

Or, if NHS Supplies is a bit tardy with their response (just imagine), companies such as Euro Energy* would probably be happy to provide "chapter and verse".

On your second point:- yes, very much so. In fact I wonder if some of the "modern" PP-3's actually meet the spec (in dimensional terms). think

They are often a tight fit, especially in old(er) kit, and sometimes almost impossible to prize out, once they have swelled a bit. In fact, I suspect that this (actual physical size) may be the real factor in objecting to the use of some "PP-3's" in T-34's (and MS-16A's) et al.

* Other quality vendors of fine batteries are available.

Super Hero
Super Hero

Things were so much simpler when the only option was PP-3. smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Hero
Hero
I know this post was about PP3 batteries but people might find this comparison of battery makes interesting.
So it is Ikea, Poundland and the 99p Store for batteries from now on.
I notice Varta are towards the bottom of this list.
Robert

PS It is interesting to note how much the capacity varies between brands for the same battery chemistries

My spelling is not bad. I am typing this on a Medigenic keyboard and I blame that for all my typos.
Super Hero
Super Hero

Actually that's good information ... if only to remind folk of the difference(s) between the Real World and the world of marketing BS. smile

Or ... never simply accept the "hype", but always carry out your own tests (if only to satisfy yourself that you're not being ripped off). After all, it's dead easy to get into the habit of only buying this or that brand ... which, of course, is exactly what "they" want.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Scholar
Scholar
try a couple of different brands of batteries put in the wrong way round, get the right brand and you can use these as pocket heaters.

Dreamer
Dreamer
Hi I'm resurrecting this thread as I've just taken over battery procurement from our stewards department - not my decision, shots have been fired and I'm in full duck and cover mode.

Last years bill for 9v batteries was £8100 which may give you some idea of how many we get through.

CME T34 we should be using 9v alkaline batteries and they have been supplied to us with duracell industrial in the past.
We have been using Energizer lithium as they last longer but are ridiculously expensive.

I'd like an honest answer of what other hospitals/community based services are actually using (and costs)please.

Ta

MrsT - I'd never loose anything if it wasn't for other people!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Malcolm, JohnBad, Huw), 89 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Neilsonc, Fran2612, Daniela Renée, markwestby, dzeb
9,981 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,864
Posts72,878
Members9,981
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020