Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 33 of 33 1 2 31 32 33
Huw Offline
Hero
Hero
Not me.

One of the Physicists in Riyadh used to carry his Psion around in his shirt top-pocket.
Every-single-time he leaned forward, the Psion would leap out of his pocket leaving him scrabbling around on the floor chasing batteries.
I lost count of the number of times that happened, but he'd never consider changing pocket locations.
Maybe it was a trophy - they were probably quite expensive.

Huw #72740 15/02/18 8:35 PM
Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

Well, that's Physicists for you.

Did he have a beard? whistle

BTW ... do you remember "pocket protectors"?

Maybe your Physicist used one of those as well!

Attached Images
Pocket.jpg (17.18 KB, 105 downloads)

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

Meanwhile, Windows CE has now come of age* ... here's a nice display of Psion-like "clamshells".

The "word on the street" is that the clamshell format may be making a come-back. Apparently the novelty of the tablet format has worn off somewhat of late.

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations about which one to go for? think

* 21 years old.

BTW, my "research" into Windows CE was prompted by a conversation I had today in my local Tesco supermarket, where they are introducing the "Scan As You Shop" handheld scanners for use by shoppers as they explore the aisles. These are Symbol (now Zebra, apparently) MC18 devices running Windows CE. Needless to say, I won't be using them myself (what's the point?); and - as I remarked to the Tesco guy - expect to see them being discarded in the river soon (just as the trolleys have been for years). I imagine they could, however, be useful in industrial or even hospital settings!

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

More nostalgia. smile

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

It's been many a year now since I last needed to use a printer. I recall that it was an Epson that I bought new at a very "competitive" price, only to be stung on the ink cartridges which seemed to last hours rather than days. frown

Before that (out in the Desert) I had a decent (but large) HP, which I donated to the "guys" when I left.

Other than that, of course, I have enjoyed playing with various dot-matrix printers from an "earlier era" (see past post under this thread). Cheap consumables (just the ink ribbon), a bit noisy of course ... but programmable!

Anyway ... how about DIY toner cartridge refiling - has anyone had a go? I tried it once some years ago, and recall "poor results" together with lots of mess. But it seems that things may have now moved on a bit. smile

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

50th anniversary coming up soon. smile

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero
How about this for a real trip down memory lane:- Byte magazine from August 1981.

Lots of original stuff about Smalltalk in there. Plus other interesting articles as well as brilliant (and copious) adverts of the type rarely seen today (not that I buy computer magazines these days - do any decent ones still exist? Byte certainly bowed out 24 years ago).

Is it just me (probably), or was this stuff simply more interesting (exciting) back then?

Also this one:- GUIs (which I may have mentioned before).

Lastly:- some brochures.

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero
This might be of interest to some of the Old Timers, or just those interested in coding (and the history thereof):-

Usborne Computer Books from the 1980's,

Page 33 of 33 1 2 31 32 33

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 435 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020