Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Super Hero
Super Hero

Originally Posted by Herman Moes

... most want to benefit from others work

Yes. Many take, but only a few give. But most simply don't have the time (that is, are too busy "fighting fires" and fixing kit) to contribute.

... without providing proper support

Proper support can only be given (attempted) if users provide feedback (bug reports). In my experience, this has rarely been the case. It would be (is) nice to have fancy websites that can host updates, whole teams of developers and so forth. But such things have to be supported financially. But even then, the real development is generally left to a solitary (quirky and obsessive?) coder!

... makes people feel left out

How many times have appeals for collaboration been made (on here)? Answer:- many. And how many responses:- one or two. And how long has such team-work continued? A few weeks, at most. But see also my first answer above (ie, "too busy").

Or were you referring there to the user? If so, see the answer above ("bug reports" - and, even, suggestions)!

This is not a moan, by the way* ... but simply relaying my own experiences. frown

If you have a development team, then you are lucky indeed. I hope they will still be around in twenty months (years) time!

Good Luck! smile

* Personally, I am more than happy to keep on paddling my own canoe (ploughing my own furrow, or whatever). I am so used to that now, I wouldn't have it any other way. As Frank Ocean has said:- "Work hard in silence; let your success be your noise"! - a mantra for the Lonely Biomed, surely?

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Super Hero
Super Hero

I looked at the old threads ...

But did you come across this one? think

I still like the idea of "turning databases on their head(s)", and having each equipment asset (what I have always liked to call "maintainable item") carry its own data. And even be able to make its own plea for help. In a word:- proactive!

With RFID tags and other (hopefully cheap) magic devices, realizing that dream may soon be on the cards.

Your next project maybe, Herman. smile

BTW, such an approach (a tag, a little box, a chip inside the casing, or whatever) has the added benefit of restricting "maintainable items" (items on the database) to those physically large enough to hold or contain the transceiver. I have always lumped together smaller items as "All oxygen flowmeters in Ward such-and-such" etc., or, if all else fails, "Miscellaneous and Minor Equipment" (MME).

To my mind, any items (such as surgical instruments, for example) that are not deemed worthy of scheduled PM are not "maintainable items". Sure, they need to be tracked, but I consider that to be a "property management" (or possibly, QA, or "infection control") responsibility.

In short:- if it needs PM, it goes on the biomed database; otherwise it doesn't - to avoid cluttering it up with hundreds (thousands?) of items that you may never actually find again anyway ... so why waste time accounting for them?

Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
we have software for track and tracing instruments.
Not my own package but we work with: https://www.besco.be/en/ for this.

For Biomed.
Soon you can walk by a device and with your phone check all and send a message to the department if required of flag it for any reason.
Hope i don't run out of cash for all I want to do that's roaming in my head before I can realize it all. lol.

Super Hero
Super Hero

Or better still ... the device sends you the message as you walk by! smile

See earlier post.

PS: cash may not be the limiting factor; how about time? That is, whilst you're busy with your current work (and thoughts), the rest of the world (and its technologies) marches on! Sometimes it's hard to remain focussed.

About that link:- yes, laser-marking; very nice (and probably not cheap). But when I look at stuff like that, I (and no doubt, a few others) tend to have thoughts along the lines of:- "Yes; but how well would (does) it work in the middle of Africa"* (I even have thoughts like that about stuff like today's Land-Rovers, with all their "gadgets", by the way)? think

Now I understand what you meant earlier by 2-D Matrix. Sorry for being so slow on the uptake (it's an "age" thing, you know).

Anyway, tracking of surgical instruments (although important) is a whole different ball-game to carrying out PM on electro-medical equipment. I advocate using separate databases for each function, and under the remit of different departments (viz, CSS and Biomed, respectively).

* For example. Many other places in dire need of help are available.

Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Totally agree on the separate database as it follows a different route in a facility.
Track and trace will be a while before it works in this area, as accountable etc.
Could elaborate but being a public forum I need to stay political correct to prevent issues coming my way.

Super Hero
Super Hero

Sounds like you've done the course(s) then, Herman. rolleyes

Hint:- all non-PC (aka interesting) stuff can always be sent via a Private Message.

Hero
Hero
Herman, I can walk by any equipment and check the full history on my phone, as can the end-user who can also check the status of equipment that has been sent to the workshop. Nothing magical there, design for biomeds by biomeds, plus do all the other stuff for the maintenance guys as generally they need help.

Last edited by Neil Porter; 07/06/18 8:54 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Super Hero
Super Hero

Sounds impressive, Neil. smile

But your post took me back to 1992. I was lodging at a biomed shop (in the UK) where technician R was enthusing about their computer "system" (which was a bit rudimentary, even for those days) ... "It's really great; look, it does this. And look, it does that" ... etc., etc.

There I was nodding away, hoping that I was showing the expected degree of appreciation.

After a while, technician P, the other resident guy, had had enough:- "Yes; but does it do the [censored] work"?

[silence] rolleyes

Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Neil,
Are you in an MOH facility?

Hero
Hero
Herman, the answer is no. I am in the Ministry of Defence & Aviation.

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 663 guests, and 501 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020