Print Thread
Rate Thread
cleaning ultrasound probes #73410 14/06/18 8:49 AM
richard coleman Offline OP
Adept
OP Offline
Adept
Hi All
we are having problems with the cleaning of a GE TV probe where the insulation is going yellow and cracking at the strain relief end after about 6 months. The probes are wiped down with clinell wipes dried and then put in a Trophon unit. The Clinell wipes and the Trophon Units are authorised products by GE for cleaning their equipment. I have looked at other probes in a different department and their GE probe cables are showing sign's of yellowing which leads me to the Clinell wipes. GE are blaming the cleaning method for the problem which I disagree with. Our TV probe is used daily and is cleaned about 15 times a day.

Does anybody use Clinell wipes and Trophon units together?
If yes do you have any issues?
Do you use either of the above?
if yes are there any issues?

regards

richard

Re: cleaning ultrasound probes [Re: richard coleman] #73411 14/06/18 10:00 AM
Geoff Hannis Offline
Super Hero
Super Hero

Sounds like you need to try (conduct a trial) without using Clinell* wipes, Richard; just wiping with a dry tissue before putting the probe into the Trophon unit.

More about Clinell. smile

Meanwhile, Trophon units certainly seem to be "the answer" for probe disinfection. Am I right in assuming a wide (popular) up up-take of these machines? Does it have any competitors? And are on-going costs (cartridges) within sensible bounds?

I'm also wondering if there is anything like Trophon for endoscopes? think

* Is it possible that the Staff could be using some other techniques (products) as well? Tristel, for example.

Re: cleaning ultrasound probes [Re: richard coleman] #73412 14/06/18 10:57 AM
Dustcap Offline
Technologist
Technologist
Clinell, providing a war between EBME and Infection control for a decade and counting.
If you read the correct instructions for clinell wipes it will explain that you should apply the wipe and then return with a damp cloth to remove the coating of Clinell. This is OK if the staff have the spare time to achieve this but just how do measure "damp".
Manufacturers are wising up to Clinell and its abrasiveness and Welch Allyn have gone so far in being able to supply you a roll of stickers to say "Im Clinell safe".
Clinell is indeed very effective in infection control but its does have the power to remove the soul from anything it touches.
We have only just resolved an issue with a Clinell effect on our range of infusion pumps, thankfully the manufacturer is understanding. Fight GE on this and unless they can supply to evidence against you then they should revisit they're own recommendation.

30 years since the Chernobyl disaster and yet we still have no super heroes or zombies.
Re: cleaning ultrasound probes [Re: Dustcap] #73413 14/06/18 11:17 AM
Geoff Hannis Offline
Super Hero
Super Hero

Originally Posted by Dustcap

remove the soul from anything it touches

A brilliant (and in this case, most apt) turn of phrase there, John. smile

And yes; I also agree that GE probably need to reconsider their disinfecting recommendations.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, KM, RoJo 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (DaveC in Oz), 149 guests, and 33 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
eldelcable, eng.maloudat, Vincenzo89, BTM, BigEric
9482 Registered Users
Events
Philips - National Conference
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,437
Posts70,739
Members9,482
Most Online1,391