Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact ☰
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Newbie
OP Offline
Newbie
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Dear Sir/Madam,
Please does any one have information on running the big Bertha Autoclave with gasoline? I want to know if this has any relationship with the wiring? I will be very glad if I can get help.
I have no issues running the Autoclave with electricity.
Thanks.
Michael

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72
Super Hero
Offline
Super Hero
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72

Here is the manual.

See also here for general information:-

1) Data sheet
2) User guide
3) YouTube video

This may also be of interest:-

Water Recovery System

This fine machine looks very similar (aka identical) to the one we used to call the Vernitron* "Portaclave". If I remember rightly it did not need any electrical power at all when having fun with the gasoline (kerosene?) burner. But I could be wrong (as I'm casting back to 1979/80 here). smile

* Over the years this field autoclave has been made by a variety of American manufacturers:- AMSCO, ETC, FDI et al.

Attached Images
Burner.jpg (16.66 KB, 56 downloads)
Bertha.jpg (16.29 KB, 53 downloads)

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Newbie
OP Offline
Newbie
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Thank you Sir for this information. I already have the video, manual and machine properly wired for a single phase connection to electricity here and it runs perfectly well but my client requested that I must run it will a gasoline(petrol) which I do not have a clue about.
The manual and YouTube video is silent about running machine with a gasoline or gas and that's where I have a challenge.
Thanks

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72
Super Hero
Offline
Super Hero
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72

The gasoline burner gets a (brief) mention at Section 2-6 (and 2-7) of the manual.

It also cites this document (the manual for the burner).

If I were you I would carry the burner to a safe area out of doors, get hold of some petrol, and proceed with caution in order to gain some familiarity with using the burner before trying it out under the autoclave. Best keep a fire extinguisher handy, too.

From memory, it all worked very well. It can also be used for the BBQ. whistle


If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Newbie
OP Offline
Newbie
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Thank you very much sir, l ll try it out and give you feedback.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72
Super Hero
Offline
Super Hero
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72

Good Man! smile

By the way, if I were you I would always use 3-phase power (when and where available). Less current being drawn reduces the risk of fires being started by cables snaking about under tents and what-have-you (assuming that the autoclave is being used in "field" conditions, as it was designed to do).

I seem to remember "ours" (Army Field Hospitals on exercise in Belgium) being powered by a diesel generator set. The Petbow 10 kVA, most likely. Or better still, for 3-phase working (and reliability) the good old Meadows 27½ kVA. Happy Days! smile

27½ kVA ... a proper generator, that (and it took a Real Man to start it, and then "parallel" it to the one already running)!

Attached Images
27.5kVA.jpg (154.72 KB, 31 downloads)
27.5kVA-2.jpg (71.46 KB, 31 downloads)

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Newbie
OP Offline
Newbie
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Great! I ll adhere to this. Thank you Sir.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 364
Likes: 38
Sage
Offline
Sage
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 364
Likes: 38
Light the blue touch and retire to safe distance....(Geoff, user in Belgium, retire to Denmark !!)

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72
Super Hero
Offline
Super Hero
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,815
Likes: 72

Olen ... were you ever there, Malcolm? think

If so, you must remember the legend of the three-handled tankard(s).


If you don't inspect ... don't expect.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8,383 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AraEmin, Edouardohaag, Mark B, Royal, davidarhui
10,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics11,280
Posts74,583
Members10,392
Most Online69,877
Jul 17th, 2026
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5