Page 1 of 2 1 2
#74018 14/02/19 3:14 PM
Adaml Offline OP
Novice
OP Offline
Novice
Hi all

Hope you are well!

RFID, Has any one had any successful projects completed installing RFID? Looking at this purely as a EBME tool to help locate what is in range of its "Scanner" walk in a room, detects 4 Flowmeters/4 Suction units for example.. Passive tagging?

Any feedback would be great

Siemens Healthineers
MES Worcester - Workshop Supervisor
Adaml #74019 14/02/19 5:14 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

How much do flowmeters cost, Adam? think

Otherwise, check out the (many) threads on the topic of RFID ... then get back to us when you're ready!

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Adaml #74428 01/08/19 9:40 AM
Scholar
Scholar
Adam, we have the Harland & Simon system here. We started with active tags but have now tagged a high percentage of our equipment with passive tags. We currently use a hand scanner to read these but have trolleys with higher output readers ready to be commissioned. The downside of passive tags is in reality you will struggle to find a position on a lot of kit where it will work - metal cases and screened plastic cases don't help!

Solihull Hospital
University Hospitals Birmingham
Super Hero
Super Hero

I have seen plastic asset tags (hospital name, bar code and what-have-you) - with passive RFID tags on the back - tied to the "asset" (even infusion pumps) with a nylon cable tie; not sure how long any of that lasts, though. smile

Adaml #74433 01/08/19 12:53 PM
Scholar
Scholar
We have some of those but cannot yet comment on how well they stay on. Estates are using them and I have found a few lying around but looks like they were on too tight. We have used cable ties to hold the active tags on and they have been reliable and we haven't lost too many tags. Some kit you cannot even attach the plastic asset tag to so it just has to get stuck directly on.

Solihull Hospital
University Hospitals Birmingham
Super Hero
Super Hero

Not much good if you are hoping to deter (or prevent) theft though, I wouldn't have thought. frown

Adaml #74550 15/09/19 7:30 AM
Sage
Sage
Check it out http://biomedicalengineeringconsultancy.blogspot.com/2013/02/real-time-location-system.html

Depending the size of coverage, your existing wifi system in your institution, the cost of implementing can be huge depending on the number of active and passive tags you are buying.

Make the impossible POSSIBLE. I know we all can and it is the wisdom to distinguish one from the other.

My blog: http://biomedicalengineeringconsultancy.blogspot.sg/

Roger #74552 15/09/19 10:08 AM
Super Hero
Super Hero

That's a very interesting blog, Roger. smile

Regarding RFID tagging of equipment and (or) other assets (such as toolkits, and what-have-you), at the moment I'm wondering about the responses available from tags concerning the location of the items (tags).

Does a typical RFID system simply return the location of the nearest antenna, or can it (or maybe, some systems) pin-point individual tags with precision? And what level of resolution is possible ... within ten metres ... one metre ... or better (nearer)?

I have come across the term "Facility Map" and understand that this may be a grid system super-imposed on, say, a hospital floor plan. I would like to fit such "map references" into a ten-character string ... but fear that (in order to allow for more than one building, as well as various levels or floors) a longer string may be required. Do you have any information about such matters from a "live" RFID system?

Lastly, I am aware that "middleware" (intermediary software) is generally used to interface interrogation data from an RFID system with your favourite equipment database. I'm hoping that simple CSV files (or some such readily workable format) are used. Do you have any information about this?

Roger #74553 15/09/19 10:25 AM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Another question!

If we consider a "typical" RFID system as deployed in a hospital ... how often does the system "ping" (interrogate) the tags? And is this setting adjustable (within limits) by you, the user (or manager)?

Are all passive tags automatically "pinged" in sequence, and can individual tags be "pinged" if you're interested in the whereabouts of a certain item (tag) or group of items (tags). I'm hoping that, in general, the answer to such questions is:- "Yes"!

Meanwhile, I'm assuming that active tags can "work the other way" - that is, reporting their position occasionally without prompting by a reader (interrogator). Presumably, each active tag can have its "reporting interval" individually set. smile

Sage
Sage
Originally Posted by Geoff Hannis

That's a very interesting blog, Roger. smile

Regarding RFID tagging of equipment and (or) other assets (such as toolkits, and what-have-you), at the moment I'm wondering about the responses available from tags concerning the location of the items (tags).

Does a typical RFID system simply return the location of the nearest antenna, or can it (or maybe, some systems) pin-point individual tags with precision? And what level of resolution is possible ... within ten metres ... one metre ... or better (nearer)?
Roger: If you put more exciter readers within an area, the resolution (the algorithm calculates the distance of these readers relative to the active tag) can be refined ( as near as 1 to 2 meters) but then it adds cost to the overall Capital Expenditure. Much depend upon how you want to minimize search time so that time is spent on other assignments.

I have come across the term "Facility Map" and understand that this may be a grid system super-imposed on, say, a hospital floor plan. I would like to fit such "map references" into a ten-character string ... but fear that (in order to allow for more than one building, as well as various levels or floors) a longer string may be required. Do you have any information about such matters from a "live" RFID system?
Roger: Sorry, I do not have the info.

Lastly, I am aware that "middleware" (intermediary software) is generally used to interface interrogation data from an RFID system with your favourite equipment database. I'm hoping that simple CSV files (or some such readily workable format) are used. Do you have any information about this?

Roger: Sorry, I do not have the info.

Last edited by Roger; 17/09/19 3:38 AM.

Make the impossible POSSIBLE. I know we all can and it is the wisdom to distinguish one from the other.

My blog: http://biomedicalengineeringconsultancy.blogspot.sg/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 681 guests, and 503 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020