Print Thread
Rate Thread
Old Regulation Medical Equipment
#74747 05/12/19 1:15 PM
Novice
OP Offline
Novice
Hi All,
I am writing a lecture on medical device regulation and was looking for references to old legislation and regulations or requirements.
Using the UK Gov web site I have found legislation from before WWII.
My problem is that I cannot not find anything before 1970 for EU legislation. I have found proposals dating from 1972 for electro medical equipment..... but from looking at other documents I think there is EU legislation or requirements from the 1960s.
If you know of any such legislation or documentation please could you email me the title.
Cheers
Patrick

Re: Old Regulation Medical Equipment
apcarena #74748 05/12/19 8:04 PM
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

Originally Posted by apcarena

My problem is that I cannot not find anything before 1970 for EU legislation.

... maybe they didn't have any. whistle

Stay cool guys; it's only a joke.

At that stage in the "onward march" of what became the European Union, each member state would have still been using its own regulations, I should imagine. DIN, TÜV and what-have-you. I'm not sure if the AFSSAPS (French) went back that far; qui sait?

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
apcarena #74759 08/12/19 12:02 PM
Novice
OP Offline
Novice
suspect that is correct
funny thing is that many of the medical directives had UK people at the helm steering the 'progress'.........

apcarena #74760 08/12/19 6:26 PM
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

As I may have mentioned a few times on here before, the trouble with all these "medical equipment directives" is that there are just too many of them; and how many attempts at a "universal" (global) set of standards have we seen? Frankly, I have lost count (or maybe it's just that I hardly bother keeping up with it all any more).

In my (undoubtedly biased) opinion, the "European norms" have (almost by definition) tended towards the lowest common denominator. But never mind, as a fair few folk have made lucrative careers out of imposing endless layers of **** upon us lesser mortals. frown

I still believe that the (old) British Standards - in all regards, not just medical equipment - were the best in the world. I'm not sure that the "UK people" you allude to are of the same breed as their forebears - but I can only hope that is the case. smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
4 members (Huw, Ruben E., Geoff Hannis, Dustcap), 725 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mudvaynec, Stu, Kacper, Project, Barrow
9634 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,541
Posts71,494
Members9,634
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020