Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Covid-19: Precautions/ cleaning - ventilators
#75182 31/03/20 4:08 PM
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
What precautions are the hospitals in the UK taking for anaesthesia machines, ventilators etc. Our hospital is leaning towards covering our anaesthesia machines in plastic to prevent cleaning once the Covid 19 patients operation is completed and left the room.

Is this adequate or hopefully there are better ideas out there.

Last edited by Huw; 31/03/20 11:36 PM. Reason: Title edited to differentiate from other covid-19 posts
Re: Covid-19: Precautions/ cleaning - ventilators
williamss #75204 02/04/20 4:54 PM
Novice
Novice
Wouldn't be covering any device in plastic as it might create a 'solar still' effect and retain moisture, a wonderful breeding environment for bacteria.. 🤔

Follow the recommended cleaning procedures instead. 👍

"...endeavourrr, ..to persevere!"
williamss #75208 02/04/20 9:35 PM
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Thank you - never considered the bacteria part - only focused on the equipment malfunctioning due to overheating. Pays to ask other members for suggestions, thoughts👍

williamss #75223 03/04/20 3:51 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Am I missing something here ... why would you want to "prevent cleaning"?

Do you mean to prevent folk touching it when they are cleaning the theatre following a procedure, or at the end of the day?

In that case, why is the machine still in there? And ... when does it get cleaned (disinfected) ready for use again?

Maybe you have more than one anaesthesia machine in the (or each) theatre?

Or ... do you mean keeping the machine covered at all times (including during operations), hoping to avoid cleaning? Why would anyone want to do that ... don't they normally bother to clean, then?

What do the theatre staff usually do with the anaesthesia machine between patients?

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Geoff Hannis #75261 09/04/20 12:12 AM
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
I believe our anaesthetists wish to remove the plastic bag after every Covid operation replace it with a clean one without cleaning what was covered by the plastic bag, i.e ventilator controls, vapouriser., etc

In my opinion laziness as the operating room will take approx 1.5 hrs to clean if used for a Covid-19 patient.

No, we do not have the money to have two anaesthesia machines in one OR room, lucky to have one. As I assume like other countries anaesthesia machines are not replaced unless the manufacturer discontinues that machine, hence some of our machines are 15 years old.
Yes our anaesthetic techs clean the machine in between cases but that is usually a quick wipe down 30 secs or no more that a minute.

williamss #75266 09/04/20 11:39 AM
Super Hero
Super Hero

I believe you need to involve your infection control people (person?), then leave matters to them.

Regarding any extra risk posed by Covid-19 ... I would say that would depend upon the nature of the surgical procedure being performed.

I would expect special attention to be paid to the patient tubing circuit (disposable would be best). I'm also wondering about soda lime in the absorber. Maybe that should get binned, as well.

Do you have *AGSS?

Old anaesthesia machines should be able to carry on indefinitely as long as they are properly maintained (and spare parts - if ever needed - remain available).

* Anaesthetic Gas Scavenging System

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
williamss #75267 09/04/20 12:56 PM
Scholar
Online Content
Scholar
AGSS will only operate with the use of gases (ISO, DES,SEV) in most modern anaesthetic machines. The added extra filters being recommended at inspiratory and expiratory should provide an extra protection to the device but that depends on the operator changing them and if the trust has adequate supplies of them.

30 years since the Chernobyl disaster and yet we still have no super heroes or zombies.
williamss #75285 15/04/20 12:02 AM
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
We are fortunate as a tertiary care hospital in that we use disposable circuits. I use the term loosely as we use them for approx two days depending on the surgery being performed. We use filters at the "Y"piece which also adds a barrier of protection and disposable canister of soda absorb but using higher flows and not using soda absorb is a great idea

The hospital used "passive" scavenging when we first had the anaesthesia machine but several year ago we changed to "actiive" scavenging.

Wish we had the older Ohmeda Excel machines as we could use these for Covid patients.

I am attempting to convince my colleagues to get infection control involved but I'm sure the anaesthesia department would disagree and do thier own thing.

Last edited by williamss; 15/04/20 12:06 AM.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
9 members (Dustcap, Huw, Neil Porter, jacks, Tombraider, Angus, Daniel Lewis, Emperor, @the!st), 611 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mudvaynec, Stu, Kacper, Project, Barrow
9634 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,541
Posts71,494
Members9,634
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020