Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
Hero
Hero
Being smartly dressed gives an air of professionalism, uniforms can also do that (says the ex-RAF veteran) :-)

Be Proactive and reactive.
Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero
Oh yes, we always enjoyed looking so smart in our green coveralls* (with boots, beret, itchy shirts ... and polished black '37 Pattern webbing belts - and those [censored] "anklets").

Uniforms are OK ... just as long as they are practical, and suitable for the job(s) at hand.

As mentioned before, I like the "designer polo shirt" approach; preferably with an open breast pocket (and logo if required). Practical, and smart enough for our line of work. I also like dark "cargo" trousers (that is, with lots of pockets).

Short sleeves ... no ties!

Meanwhile, John ... how's your "lock-down barnet" looking?

* At least these didn't have the company name and (or) logo emblazoned across the back - no doubt many who have worked in the Middle East will remember seeing (and perhaps, wearing) those.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Hero
Hero
I agree about polo shirts Geoff, short sleeved, collar - smart enough. My 'lockdown barnet' is not coming out in public. I look like 'Doc Brown' off 'Back to the Future'.

Last edited by John Sandham; 06/07/20 1:52 PM.

Be Proactive and reactive.
Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero
Ah, nice one. Maybe if you regrew your moustache, you could go for the Albert Einstein look, then, John.

Myself, I seem to be tending towards becoming a doppelgänger for Josey Wales.

Actually, it's the roughest I've looked in 53 years - but it could become the "new normal".

Maybe the Dress Code now needs to include some form of head-dress. A hair-net, for example

Or better still, perhaps the time has now come for us all to wear theatre "blues"*, cap and all. We used to wear that gear in one place I worked, and I quite liked the idea (mainly as it seemed to allow us to wander about anywhere in the hospital unchallenged, and unhindered).

* Other colours may be available.

Master
Master
Yo Geoff, cant remember how it came about....but only used to wear those cotton short sleeved greyish-biege

shirts; green coveralls....thats what happens when you deciede to repair big tanky things ;-)).

As for those [censored] "anklets" at least you could crap yourself in relative comfort.

Although I must admit I was one of the few having to wear long trews in Cyprus, hats off to the RAF for the shorts!!!! (even with long socks)

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero
Trews? Were you with a (Lowland) Scottish regiment, then, Malcolm?

... long socks ... hose tops! Get some in, Mate!

Even back in my day we used to encounter other armoured regiments on "scheme" wearing sensible clothing. Even the Life Guards (IIRC) used to wear polo necks under their coveralls. But for some perverse reason, "our lot"* wanted to continue the traditions of the Second World War (I may have mentioned before that our QM had in fact crossed the Rhine in 1945 in his Daimler Dingo). Although I noticed that by "Gulf War One", they had at last adopted brown T-shirts under their coveralls.

Happily, a lot of the things we were always trying to implement (as in "get approved") back in my time have now come to pass; decent boots, "regimental" T-shirts, helmets that you could actually run in (although the Para ones were OK in that regard) and so forth. Hopefully, the tools and test equipment is a lot better, too.

Meanwhile, at the BMH's we used to wear "barrack dress" (usually Trousers, Lightweight back in the day), with "shirts, hairy" and Jersey, Heavy Wool during winter months, covered by a white "Lab coat" when out on the Wards (as per the policy of DEME(A) at the time). Luckily, things were generally a bit more relaxed in warmer locations (such as Hong Kong). No shorts in the hospitals, though!

* Mente et Manu

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (J Darby, daisizhou, 1 invisible), 334 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,704
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020