Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#76486 05/10/21 3:06 PM
Hero
OP Offline
Hero
I have been harping on to Huw for over 25 years saying I am writing a novel based in Belize during the Cold War era.

Well, I have finally finished it. If you are interested, you can pre order a copy here:
Reds on the Run https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/1839757930/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_NTYR9QPXJF3QFG0PACBC

Last edited by John Sandham; 05/10/21 3:11 PM.

Be Proactive and reactive.
Super Hero
Super Hero
Yes; very interested. Stand-fast Andy McNab!

Am I right in assuming this work is a novel (fiction) rather than a memoir?

I never made it to Belize "back in the day" ... but was considering retiring there a few years ago. But (largely due to what I have read on the internet), I doubt that move will be made now.

But if we're going to start reminiscing about the Cold War ... maybe I had better start jotting down a few notes (whilst I can still remember them) about how I (and, it must be said, a few others) kept the 3rd Shock Army at bay; not to mention creeping about the misty back-streets of (West) Berlin (John le CarrΓ© eat your heart out).

Good luck with the book, John. I shall look out for it.

Meanwhile ... Jolly Green Giant ... or Puma?

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Hero
OP Offline
Hero
It is a work of fiction Geoff, and that is a Puma on the front cover (with me sat on the steps) The corrugated tin Nissen hut in the background was where I lived with 17 other guys from the General Engineering Flight. πŸ˜€

Hero
OP Offline
Hero
More about my book here: https://redsontherun.com/

Never got to Belize John, prob because I was always fixed wing not Rotary when in the RAF. My Best Man Chris Eaton did Belize though.
It'll be an interesting read, good luck with the sales.

Hero
OP Offline
Hero
Thanks,
first month sold over 1000 books. I'm happy with that. πŸ˜€

I had an interesting tour in Belize. The living conditions weren't great. 18 sweaty airmen (not aviators, the new non-sexist word for those enlisted in the RAF) in a tin Nissen hut.

It was an interesting experience being there in the early 80s.
I also did tours in Ascension and Bahrain.

Super Hero
Super Hero
You never made it to Brunei then, John ... used to get woken up to a mug of tea in the Mess at Seria ... and Paludrine tablets in a bowl on the table at breakfast (swing that lamp)!

I always preferred to be serving overseas ... as I remember it, soldiering in the UK was second rate in comparison (especially if we include Northern Ireland in that).

I hear that it is even worse now, with so much contracted out to civilian companies.

Hero
OP Offline
Hero
I also found my overseas tours to be the most memorable Geoff, but I never made it to Brunei. Sounds like you had a great time there.
I also had the daily paludrine tablet, usually with breakfast πŸ˜€

Last edited by John Sandham; 20/01/22 9:55 AM.

Super Hero
Super Hero
I was only there for two weeks (per the Hong Kong VC-10 schedule) ... I had been sent to service the Rathbone Ten and the rest of the dental kit ready for the dentist's annual visit (also from HK - Osborn Barracks, for those who may remember it). Once that was done, it was jogging along the perfect beach every morning, waiting for the flight back.

There was an Army Air Corps flight (Scout helicopters) there at the time, and I was lucky enough to go up on a "patrol" one morning (AAC Sgt pilot - a good guy).

But my abiding memory was that I met (and spent a bit of time with) Eddie Lillico (RIP); SAS legend from the "Indonesian Confrontation".

Somehow, my stories about installing dental units, servicing anaesthesia machines, reviving x-ray sets and so forth tend to pale into insignificance when compared to exploits like that.

Hero
OP Offline
Hero
The helicopter patrol must gave been great, but its a shame you couldn't have stayed a bit longer.
My stint in Belize was for 6 months. I had quite a few jaunts out in the Puma's. πŸ˜€

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 52 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Daniel Rothwell, tomandjogh, Pascachristi, bme2020, drleiva
9,974 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25