Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#76774 29/03/22 5:17 PM
Visionary
OP Offline
Visionary
Hi all

As you all know there is a terrible war going on in Ukraine, destroying much of the infrastructure including hospitals. We are going to be donating various items of Medical equipment and supplies through appropriate channels to try and help the situation.
What We are going to need to help support this is:
European mains leads, which you probably dont want anyway, so that equipment can be plugged in.
Any kind of wound vacuum systems that are still functional
Any kind of working rapid infusers
Any In date adult CVC multi-lumen catheters

If you think that you can help with any of this, or any other kit, do please call or email me.

Thanks
Richard Aldridge
Lead technologist, Royal London Adult Critical care
richard.aldridge1@nhs.net
tel 0203 59 40302

Richard Aldridge
Lead Technologist
Adult Critical care unit
Royal London Hospital
Whitechapel Road
London E1 1BB
Tel 0203 59 40302
2 members like this: John Sandham, Huw
Hero
Hero
Good luck with this Richard.

Be Proactive and reactive.
Hero
Hero
How is this equipment appeal going Richard?

Visionary
OP Offline
Visionary
Absolutely nothing at all from any other sites being offered, but I have heard that other hospitals are doing things.

We now have a whole pile of stuff ready to go including ventilators, monitors and a whole pile of consumables.

Richard Aldridge
Lead Technologist
Adult Critical care unit
Royal London Hospital
Whitechapel Road
London E1 1BB
Tel 0203 59 40302
Super Hero
Super Hero
I'm interested in the "appropriate channels", Richard. The logistics, if you like.

How do you plan to get the stuff there? Are you co-operating with others (about transportation, for example)?

Are you supporting a particular group? Have they make it clear what their needs (requirements) are? What we used to call "pull"?

Or do you - yes, you've guessed it - "push"? That is, send whatever you can, and/or think they might need?

I'm also wondering about the status of the equipment you are sending; who does (did) it belong to? Old? New? Stuff that can be "spared" (or about to be got rid of, anyway)?

"Ventilators, monitors"? Dare I ask:- how about tech support?

My limited research on line indicates that there are now a fair number of field hospitals set up in Ukraine (from various countries, and various groups - some religious). I hope there is somebody co-ordinating all that activity (although TBH, and based on my own experiences, I doubt it).

For balance, I'll also mention at least a few on the "other side" (in Belarus, and Crimea it would seem) ... but I guess you are not supporting those.

Lastly, @Huw:- do we have any biomeds from Ukraine as members of this site? It would be nice to gain a feel for the "state of biomed" out there (even before the invasion).

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Huw Offline
Hero
Hero
Originally Posted by Geoff Hannis
Lastly, @Huw:- do we have any biomeds from Ukraine as members of this site? It would be nice to gain a feel for the "state of biomed" out there (even before the invasion).

39 members have listed their location as Ukraine.

1 member likes this: John Sandham
Sage
Sage
How are there fellow biomed at Ukraine? Praying you are all doing well.

--- PATIENT SAFETY FIRST ---
Visionary
OP Offline
Visionary
Hi Geoff

In answer to your questions. Pretty well all of the kit we are giving away is kit we would have gotten rid of anyway to the usual hospital auctioneers. All of it is quite old, but is working and has been checked as working before we give it away. As far as possible we have also supplied all leads and accessories.

We have had donations of European mains leads and gas hoses from a couple of companies, so as far as we can the items can be used straight away

These items are being coordinated by one of our ITU consultants who is polish, and has contacts with Medical aid Ukraine. She has worked with this charity to ensure that we are donating items that are wanted.
I'm hoping that they get their act together soon, as we now have a large quantity of items, which will hopefully all go in one big truck.

I have no idea what their tech support is like, but thats not going to stop us making the effort. One Anaesthetist from Ukraine told me that the hospital she was working in is no longer there. I therefore think that anything we can give at 0 or minimal cost will be better than nothing at all.

Richard Aldridge
Lead Technologist
Adult Critical care unit
Royal London Hospital
Whitechapel Road
London E1 1BB
Tel 0203 59 40302
2 members like this: Huw, John Sandham
Hero
Hero
Hi Richard,

Originally Posted by brompton
Absolutely nothing at all from any other sites being offered, but I have heard that other hospitals are doing things. We now have a whole pile of stuff ready to go including ventilators, monitors and a whole pile of consumables.

Thats a shame. I hope that enough medical equiopment is getting through to Ukraine, wherever it comes from. Good luck with you delivery.

Super Hero
Super Hero
@Richard: thanks for the info.

It's a noble cause; no doubt about it.

Medical Aid Ukraine

The UMAUK Facebook page is also an interesting place to keep an eye on. Lots of folk looking for advice and (or) help, plus links to other groups etc.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
4 members (stevo72, KeithO, kristy07, Ivan Lai), 75 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Carys, Ivan Lai, Chris.S, NimBuS06, Januar
9,997 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,881
Posts72,935
Members9,997
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020