Mr R J Ling
What you have said in your last two postings is all very well, but in my capacity when I see a dangeous situation or am made aware of bad practice I have to act to advise the surgeons. That is I feel part of my job. It is part of my job description to advise medical staff on the safe use of electronic medical equipment. Their area of expertise is us, where ours is medical electronics. Combining the two when an issue is raised like this one, together we can get to a safer working arena for the patients' sake. As we all know through time every one can become flippant in what we do and things can be missed. Just because an incident has never happened before
does not mean it never will. That is why I will be advising the staff involved to improve the situation and in the fullness of time hopefully purchase equipment that is designed for the job in hand.
Your question "Why would you wish to take on someone elses responsibilties etc". If there was an incident and I was aware of the problem before hand but did nothing, how would I feel about myself?
Adrian raised the question "should surgeons have to make decisions on issues like this?" Not only the surgeons but all of us together should combine efforts. That might be naive of me but I must try.
Thank God its Friday.

Dave