Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#71940 28/06/17 12:57 PM
Lee S Offline OP
Philosopher
OP Offline
Philosopher
Hello

For cleaning equipment like Infusion pumps and Syringe Drivers we use Clinell Universal Wipes.

What are you using to clean your Medical Equipment?

Lee

Don't forget "we've never had it so good".
Philosopher
Philosopher
Hi Lee,

Personally, I don't think BME should be cleaning the equipment at all.

Removing the glue from a test sticker that has been taken off, yes but general cleaning, no. I would rather my staff spent their time doing their core functions of calibration, preventative maintenance, performance verification and repairs rather than seeing trained and skilled staff cleaning crap off equipment.

It's not our role to clean that is up to the users or in the worst case, CSSD.

Last edited by DaveC in Oz; 28/06/17 11:02 PM.

Thoughts and information provided on this forum are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the policy of NSW Health. They may also be complete bollocks!!
Master
Master
Same here.
I have a zero tolerance policy (backed up by Trust policy) of collecting or accepting any device that isn't visibly clean, labelled and correctly reported. I think I'm pretty much on my own regarding this approach compared to other Techs but hey guess what? it works. My customers know it will remain uncollected therefore they follow policy and do what is required and we all get on fine with no animosity or confrontation.
Of course there will always be cases where it is necessary to do some cleaning and I use PDI Sani-cloth.
I did report an issue to MHRA ;last year regarding the claimed used of the wipes mentioned in the OP softening the insulation on an ECG trunk cable block, possibly combined with incubator heat. Nothing came of it.

Lee S Offline OP
Philosopher
OP Offline
Philosopher
Okay; let me rephase the question.

Our Trust uses Clinell Universal Wipes for cleaning equipment like Infusion pumps and Syringe Drivers.

What is being used in your organisation to clean Medical Equipment?

Lee

Don't forget "we've never had it so good".
Super Hero
Super Hero

Well ... they look OK.

And cheaper by the bucket load! whistle

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Scholar
Scholar
I agree that the external parts of equipment should be cleaned before being sent to clinical engineering but there are several areas on infusion pumps etc that ward staff cannot clean .When doing a PPM or service I would consider a deep clean of all parts of equipment as part of our job and is easy to do while pumps etc are running flow test etc . I find antistatic foam cleaner ( RS ) is great for this and the equipment goes back into service looking like a proper professional service was done pride in ones work . Also I find if I return equipment looking fresh and new the user respect this and take care to try and keed it that way

Super Hero
Super Hero

I (for one) agree with all that you're saying there, John.

Perhaps we went to the same school. smile

Mr.Sheen rules!

Expert
Expert
Yeah, we use Clinell wipes - not a great fan - they leave the equipment looking like its been cleaned with a dirty rag:

Have to use antistatic cleaner afterwards to get this off!

They say they are hand safe but I don't like the feel of them, I always glove up or wash my hands immediately after using them.

I agree with John, staff can't get to some of the parts we can get to and to be honest I'll do a lot better job at cleaning than one of the nurses or housekeepers ever will. Even if it comes in with a decontamination form and *looks* clean, I'll give it a once over with a Clinell when doing the visual inspection for my own peace of mind.
A soak in hot soapy water and a scrub with a stiff brush (these are great if you give the bristles a haircut to half size) for gruby plastic bits with intricate mouldings (Asena syringe clamp comes to mind) that need to be removed during repair.

Last edited by Huw; 08/08/21 12:45 PM. Reason: Removed image as no longer working.

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide 'til it goes away.
Super Hero
Super Hero

Yes; I was wondering if those Clinell wipes might be a bit too "wet" (I have never used - or even seen - them, myself).

I should imagine that they are really intended as a "clinical strength" surface disinfectant, rather than for general purpose cleaning.

TBH I generally prefer the good old-fashioned (and cheaper) alternatives - such as "hot soapy water" (with, if necessary, a few drops of Dettol, or similar). smile

Expert
Expert
Think of them as a less pleaseant form of those Dettol multi surface wipes you can buy in any supermarket.

To be honest Geoff because they come in a pack that is about 3" thick, the top ones tend to be a bit too dry and the bottom ones are absolutely swimming. The only way I've found to kinda counteract this is as you use them is to store the pack the other way up every day (works provided you remember to clip the pack firmly closed when you turn them upside down....!)

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide 'til it goes away.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ronan), 425 guests, and 548 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
diodoled, Al BMET, Eng_VPG, Graham Oliver, Jawad
10,188 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,069
Posts73,773
Members10,188
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020