Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Me #72552 15/12/17 4:22 PM
Lee S Offline OP
Philosopher
OP Offline
Philosopher
I am changing jobs in the new year, moving away from Medical Engineering so i may not be visiting the site as often; so in the words of Douglas Adams "so long and thanks for all the fish".

Lee

Don't forget "we've never had it so good".
Re: Me [Re: Lee S] #72553 15/12/17 4:36 PM
Huw Offline
Hero
Hero
All the very best Lee. Good luck in the new job. smile

Re: Me [Re: Lee S] #72554 15/12/17 4:36 PM
kit Offline
Scholar
Scholar
Can I be nosey and ask why you are leaving medical engineering and what you are moving to. To be honest I'm swithering on doing the same, all the best anyway whatever your plans are. Cheers

Re: Me [Re: Lee S] #72555 15/12/17 4:52 PM
Dustcap Offline
Scholar
Scholar
Best of luck Lee. Im thinking of doing the same, going to make a decision end of January.

30 years since the Chernobyl disaster and yet we still have no super heroes or zombies.
Re: Me [Re: Dustcap] #72561 17/12/17 1:36 PM
Geoff Hannis Offline
Super Hero
Super Hero

Hey ... what's going on? I'm wondering what it is you guys are moving (or thinking of moving) to?

Many years ago I had gone through a few "changes of plan" myself, and tried a couple of things along the way. To be honest a "change of scene" is probably a healthy (mind-broadening) thing to do.

However ... each time I eventually "came back". smile

To my mind it doesn't really matter what path you actually follow (in engineering), as long as you give it your best effort, be true to yourself, and such good stuff as that.

Speaking for myself, I had better make it clear that I haven't officially touched a piece of medical kit "in anger" for a number of years now. However I still spend a lot of time wading through murky waters of computer code to do with the tech support of medical equipment. As well as, of course, coming on here from time to time.

So I'm genuinely interested ... is the "grass greener" elsewhere? Or are you guys going through the "mid-life crisis" (and I've had a few myself)? Are you hoping to have a go at your "true vocation in life" (mine was being a motor-cycle mechanic)? Or are you just fed up with the NHS?

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Re: Me [Re: Lee S] #72563 18/12/17 11:37 AM
Lee S Offline OP
Philosopher
OP Offline
Philosopher
I am going to be the Trust's Environmental and Information Manager (for the Estates side), so energy, sustainability and the various data gathering processes that the NHS is required to do.

I've been a Medical Engineer for most of the last 27 years (couple of years seconded to what was described as a project manager role but was more Facilities Management).

I must admit I have become increasingly frustrated with the increase in equipment numbers and hoops we need to jump through; with no corresponding increase in man power or budget. And although I've made many friends and being told that I am the best thing since sliced bread (especially now); it is still the same old UK, engineers are great when you need one but are still looked down upon as spanner men (or ladies).

As for midlife crisis been there done that; yes OK I’ve got some grey in my beard, I ‘ve got a convertible and I am going snowboarding in the new year but that doesn’t make me a bad person.

Lee

Don't forget "we've never had it so good".
Re: Me [Re: Lee S] #72564 18/12/17 2:32 PM
kit Offline
Scholar
Scholar
Sounds like a good job Lee hope it goes well. Geoff, maybe I'm just getting a bit fed up working in the NHS, like Lee I'm not far away from 30 years service and maybe a change of direction would do me good away from tools and fixing things.

I still may have 10 years of work left and have no firm idea of what I could do next. Retire early and do bugger all apart from suit myself sounds very appealing, but that takes money of course!!!!

Re: Me [Re: kit] #72569 18/12/17 8:09 PM
Geoff Hannis Offline
Super Hero
Super Hero

OK, Kit ... here's my advice:- there's a whole world outside the NHS. Bin it, then take a year out (travel the world, volunteer in something that appeals, write your memoirs, whatever).

By the end of the year you'll have a few more ideas ... and who knows, after a year of refreshment, maybe you'll appreciate that being "on the tools" is a noble vocation after all!

And don't forget, there's always the "darkside"! smile

Just make sure you don't screw up any pension rights you have, though.

Re: Me [Re: Lee S] #72572 19/12/17 12:33 PM
kit Offline
Scholar
Scholar
Yes Geoff the older I get the more tempted I am to do something completely different, there sure is more to life than the NHS so I'll need to get thinking and take the plunge. Lifes too short as they say......

Re: Me [Re: kit] #72573 19/12/17 1:46 PM
Geoff Hannis Offline
Super Hero
Super Hero

... indeed it is. But I have found that a simple move (change of location) is often enough to revitalise and re-invent yourself. A fresh start, I suppose we could call it ... which reminds me; it's about time I moved on (having been in my present location for three years now) - next year, inshallah. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (DaveC in Oz), 752 guests, and 35 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
RanaS, valo, Nguyen Hoang, Marco Antonio, Hadi
9596 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,545
Posts71,347
Members9,596
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020