Hopefully not too far off-topic (I trust).

Can someone offer a clue as to why there are so many of these "alternating pressure mattress" type beds in service these days? It didn't used to be the case.

What has changed? Nursing practices? Patient "management"? Some previously unknown affliction amongst the population at large?

OK, pressure sores, and all the rest. But they have always been there. Could it be down to obesity now, I wonder.

The tech support of hospital beds in general has become "big business", and (it seems to me that) many hospitals have yet to catch up, as it were. It appears to be becoming (or, has become) a sub-discipline (speciality) of biomed in its own right. And yet it seems to be the case that the whole issue of beds per se is seen as, shall we say, a bit of a burden in many biomed sheds. Perhaps I should also lump in the whole business of patient hoists, LOLER and all the rest, here as well.

I am prompted to mention all this as I was approached only recently for some advice in setting up a private venture keen to "address" this "market". I may have dampened the guy's spirits somewhat when I reminded him of the difficulties of servicing beds with patients still in residence!

It sounded like he was hoping to carry out a "quick PM and safety check" whilst the old dear was out on a mission to the toilet! OK for a "one-off" perhaps ... but what about all the other beds in the ward (hospital)? Was he planning to camp out in the corridor, standing by ready to rush in with his checklist, toolkit, and Rigel* each time he (or more accurately, a bed-bound patient) "got the call"? smile

* Other electrical safety testers are available.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.