I have expounded on the subject of emulators under other threads before, but have decided that a new topic may now be warranted. whistle

I have recently had another go with DOSBox and am happy to report that (unlike the earlier version) v0.74 runs TMD just fine.

Once you have set it up *(which is easy enough), and re-mapped a few Ctrl+ keys (also easy), TMD runs in all its glory within the DOSBox shell (including the "high-ASCII" characters displayed as originally intended - something that had eluded me before when using the native Windows cmd.exe "DOS box").

I'm admiring it now on three different Windows machines (Win 2000, XP and Win 7) and its looking good on all of them. I'm "excited" about this as it opens the possibility of a New Lease of Life for some of my old stuff that was written under MS-DOS (FoxPro 2.* et al).

Some folk may question the wisdom of continuing to support (and perhaps even develop) stuff written in Ancient Times, but I prefer to believe there may be merit in having "quick and dirty" apps (fast, small footprint - almost like the TSR's of Old when using modern "high-performance" machines) running on as many platforms as possible. And emulators (and specifically DOSBox in this case) make all that possible.

I understand that DOSBox will work under 64-bit Windows set-ups as well (basically emulating 16-bit code on a 64-bit machine - brilliant)! Although I haven't tried that yet myself [maybe someone else on here can] it certainly opens up a few "future proof" opportunities!

The bottom line here is that DOSBox is great. It allows a whole pile of "legacy" (DOS) software (Clipper, FoxPro, dBASE, Paradox ... and many more) to continue on ... for ever! smile

Download DOSBox here. More about emulators here.

* If anyone wants the clues laid out in step-by-step fashion, I will be happy to do that (but I don't want to bore too many folk right now).