The decision to regulate Clinical Technologists is in effect an excuse to make money and I see it as another tax to add to the many other taxes we have to pay in society.

I do not go to work to give up my hard earned cash to some bureaucratic money making organisation just so they can send me biannual newsletters.

I am firm believer in the stripping down of bureaucracy that in other organisations has been the major cause for loss off competitiveness and profits.

Technicians have had to go through a comprehensive selection process in order to be chosen for the job. Everything from competence and qualifications to attitude is assessed during the interview so only the most suitable candidates are chosen. So why do some people think it is necessary to regulate?

I also believe that the impending case for the regulation of biomedical engineers (Clinical Technologists) is totally unnecessary and can only lead to one group of winners the organisers/managers of the registration scheme. I am sure that the bosses at HPC will not take humble salaries and will indeed 'feather their own nests'.

Let us say that there are 20,000 potential Clinical Technologists around the country (there may be more) all paying £60 a year. That means the HPC (maybe IPEM) will collect a rather handsome reward of around £1.2 million a year (not bad for a years work!)

The current registration fee is £10 a year, the expected registration fee if made compulsory is £60 a year (this could be a lot more in the future) why the leap in charges? Are their operating costs going to shoot up suddenly by 600%? Or will some people be awarding themselves a SMALL bonus?

It feels like a group of people have got together, found a niche market, and are attempting to profiteer from this. In my opinion this can be the only reason for wanted a change in law to make registration compulsory because that way you can be assured of your financial gains from a captive market.

Here are some of the benefits, which IPEM proclaim to be for us.

Protection against rogue traders - if this were true and IPEM were serious about protecting us from rogue traders and not just making money, then why have a voluntary register with entry requirements that are so relaxed that your grandmother could probably get in.

Freedom of movement to work elsewhere within the European Economic Area - this one is very good and I can really see it being very popular, I can't wait to emigrate I am sure we will all be taking advantage of this useless feature of registration.

The protection of professional title - only those registered as Clinical Technologists will be able to practice as such. This is a great benefit ensuring the protection of HPCs and IPEMs management's most valuable asset the income generated from Clinical Technologists registration fees.

These are just a few of the amazing benefits offered to us by IPEM management aimed at tantalizing and attracting us to handover in a zombie like fashion our hard earned cash.

I think the IPEM registration scheme is a great idea, in fact I would like to be involved in running this organisation it would a nice little earner for me in my retirement.

IPEM have stated in their information pages on their website that the only reason for having the voluntary register in the first place was to make the case for regulation of the Clinical Technologist profession. Now I don't know about you but I and many others were not given this information in the early days, no instead we were led to believe that registration will be inevitable and therefore it would be better to join now rather than later as it could be very difficult to join in the future. We were given the impression by our senior management in the hospitals, that in would be impossible to work unless we were registered. These scare tactics were on the whole moderately successful since some people were persuaded to join. Of course, the continuing scare tactics and hiding of the reasons for having a voluntary register resulted in more people joining over the years.

Now it would seem that the main reason for many people joining is not because they truly believe in and want registration but merely because they wanted to avoid the problems that we were all led to believe would confront us if we did not get onto the voluntary register. When I was first introduced to the VRCT I was lied to by my bosses, they did not tell me the real reason for wanting people to join the register instead the used scare tactics. A very dishonest approach from the management, which left me wondering what their motives were.

The truth about the voluntary register is thus:
It is a type of petition, which can be taken to the government in order to persuade them that there are a great number of Clinical Technologists desperate for compulsory registration.
So the more people that IPEM can get signed up the stronger their case will be for regulation, because who could argue with so many registrants who are saying yes to regulation.

If you believe in regulation and in paying the accompanying fees then all is well, but if you joined just because you were afraid of the consequences of not being a member then you joined for the wrong reasons and I would urge to resign your registration. Talk to your union rep if you have one or lobby your MP. If there are not enough people signed up to the voluntary register then it will be very difficult if not impossible to make the case to government and have the regulation rules set in law for evermore. I believe the regulation is not inevitable and if enough people say no to it, the idea will be dead in the water. You have a choice. I choose NO.