Are you saying that kit ends up being cheaper, then, Chris? I don't think so, Mate. Now that I've looked into things a bit more, it seems that the whole "smart" battery story is very, er, smart. Great technology and all that, but I return to my earlier question of "what is the real benefit" in adopting it?

Myself, I approve of the idea of like-for-like batteries being shared across applications. At least that way prices get driven down, as economies of scale kick in.

I'm interested in the SMBus question, as my guess is that our own dear medical equipment OEM's have their own (proprietary) way of doing things (ie, for commercial reasons). I hope that I'm wrong.

Yes, you're right about all those posts. It seems like I'm using the forum like a blog! Thing is that no-one ever seems to visit my own personal blog, so it's been left rather to wither on the vine. No, this forum is a great place to meet and chew the fat, as it were. I've looked (and continue to look) at quite a few other forums, but this one suits me best (until, and unless, I start up my own, that is)! smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.