Some years ago I got fed up with the spare mains leads hidden in drawers problem. Staff would regularly "find" leads in drawers that hadn't been tested for years and stick them onto equipment.
I decided to serial number & log every IEC lead, following which I planned to forbid staff to use unlabelled "found" leads.

I chose a really robust cable labelling system and started testing & labelling. After about 500 leads (1/4 of the stock)I dropped the project.

It took 2 minutes to test a lead, 6 minutes to label it up!

6 years later I still find my labelled cables around, the numbering beatifully clear but quite impractical.

I used to fuse all syringe pumps at 1A until I started finding the leads swapped onto defibs. I standard fuse leads at 7A these days.