I have since remembered that the typical (and distinctive) Australian power plug is in fact polarized ... so the "mains reversal" situation (which I believe is actually a Single Fault Condition - SFC) should not occur.

That may not be true in Malcolm's situation, however ... depending upon which variety of Ticino plug he is used to seeing; although I know that plug and sockets arrangements can (and do) vary across "harmonized" Europe.

That's the nice thing about Standards; there are so many to choose from. whistle

See here for reference.

I may as well mention (yet again) the infamous "Hospital Grade" ("Green Dot") plug as found in the USA. Also non-fused, of course, despite mains cables carrying heavier current (at only 110 volts).

Although following the same configuration as normal (lesser, cheaper) plugs, these (expensive) plugs are intended to mate in similar sockets, with special requirements regarding "tension" (as in, resistance to being yanked out). All well and good, except that (unless it has changed in recent times) the basic design has the (heavy) cable sticking out from the wall (rather that hanging down gracefully as our BS-1363 does), leading to the usual "sagging" so often seen (with the heavy "washing line" doing the best it can to tip the plug out of secure attachment in the socket).

All that's needed there (I would suggest) is a re-design to have the cable hanging down at 90 degrees. Indeed, I seem to recall having seen a couple of US-style plugs that did exactly that (although I can't remember if they were in fact Hospital Grade).

The other "problem" I have with Hospital Grade is that they are (I believe) only mandated in "Critical Care" areas. So what about all the medical kit used outside those areas? And what about plugging Hospital Grade into "normal" outlets, and vice-versa ... I'll leave it there (for now, at least). smile

For more, see here.