Originally Posted By: DaveC in Oz

... if you want an alternative view you are also welcome to send me (PM me) a copy of the asset list and I will have a look. An alternative view might be useful.

Yes. The more the merrier. smile

OK, I don't want to prolong the debate (?) ... but (as I suspected) yours is not really a like-for-like comparison there, Dave (if you don't mind me saying).

That's why, instead of vaguely talking about "number of techs", to do this stuff properly you (we, they) have to screw it all down to man-hours. That (as you must know, Dave) takes a fair bit of work (and my ancient spreadsheets from the Lotus 1-2-3 era haven't been dusted off for a while).

There are a lot of "ground-rules" (variables) at play as well. For instance, in your case, how many man-hours get factored in for the support provided by the company? And how many FTE's would the numbers crunch out at if the customer insisted on more frequent PM? think

We also don't know about the condition of the kit. Delfin mentions "working" equipment; so I guess that means that some of it isn't. "Reading between the lines"? Yes.

Delfin also mentioned that he works alone. So I think we're safe in assuming zero support, except when he calls upon outside companies (which, I suspect, he doesn't do lightly). Meanwhile, your 0.6 of a guy will be well trained, fully equipped, well supported (and all the rest), no doubt.

Anyway ... jesting? No, I know that you're not. But there again, neither am I. Those "examples" I mentioned earlier actually happened; with much success (both operationally and contractually) I might add.

But (in closing):- MES (visiting contractors, whatever) versus in-house (employees of the hospital). Two different approaches; equally valid, equally effective (you might say), but different mind-sets (and I've done both myself). Chalk and cheese. whistle